Medical Questions > Womens Health > Infertility Forum

go back to metformin? take clomid?

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
User Profile
dear doc,

for a almost 5 months now, my period has been two days earlier than the last.. i.e this month i had my period on the 6th of jan, last month i had my period on the 9th of Dec, i had my period on the 10th of Nov.
it was not like this before i started and stopped metformin. could metformin be the cause of this. i am trying to concieve for 7 years. i go back to metformin?
also while i was on metformin for 3 months, i noticed thru folicullar scan, that only one follicle ripens.
2.can i take clomid with metformin and how do i take it.

pls help me to concieve.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 15th, 2012
Infertility Answer A30437
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

You probably have polycystic ovaries. Clomid cannot be started until the cause of follicles not maturing is not found and treated.

There are various approaches to treat a polycystic ovary. First of all insulin resistance has to be checked and corrected by a dose of metformin. Then regular check ups have to be scheduled and you put on low dose birth control pills to regularize the cycles first. Once this is corrected, regular ultrasounds will be done to assess the status of the ovum and accordingly drugs prescribed. At times laparoscopy is done and cysts punctured. Diet and weight control are also important part of therapy and you need to be under a good nutrition expert.

Also other causes of not conceiving will need to be looked at. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your gynecologist regarding this and consult an infertility specialist. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.