User Profile
Hi,
My girlfriend bought a glucometer yesterday to follow a caloric restriction program. As my mother had type 1 diabetes, I know those machine quite well. I took a test to show her how it works and I was stunned to see the results. I'd expected to see something along 3 to 4 mmol/L. as it was in the morning before breakfeast but I had 7.7 mmol/L (that would be 138.6mg/dl or 1.386g/l).
I know for a fact that this is a higher then normal. It was in the morning, The only thing I had for the preceding 12 hours was a coffee (35-45 minutes before the test was taken) with less the 1 teaspoon (< 5g) of sugar in it.

I've seen my mother suffer from this disease for so long that I might be over-reacting. Nevertheless, i'm truly woried about this results.

Should I be worried? Should I talk to my doctor about it?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2009
More recent tests show results of blood glucose > 200mg/dl. The highest of which was 221. My fasting glucose is always above 115 but have never exceeded 130 (I've been testing every morning for the last week). I'm scheduled for an OGTT next week and i'm gonna see my family doctor after the results are in.

I understand that type 1 symptoms are much more severe then what I experience (thirst, more frequent urination, twitch in my eyes, sweat and high hearth rate). But there is no type 2 history in the family.

Is it possible to have IFG/IGT or type 2 diabetes with a family history of type 1?

Can someone with IFG/IGT progress to type 1?

Thanks in advance for your answer...
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
You should test a blood sample on fasting in the laboratory. Capillary blood glucose is usually more than venous blood glucose.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.