Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Glyburide and Metformin HCL

I am an insurance agent trying to educate myself regarding Diabetes. I have a client who was just diagnosed with Diabetes 2 a week or two back. Approximately how long should it take for his Glyburide (2.5mg 2x daily) and Metformin HCL (500mg 2x daily) to start 1.) start his blood sugar levels to improve, and 2.) reach their therapeutic max level? He is age 84, slim build, non-smoker, non-drinker, and otherwise good health and very active. I know this will not be a precise timeframe and that he will need to follow Dr's orders re: blood lab work, etc. Please advise, thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 21st, 2009
Type 2 diabetics have different responses to medications from one person to another person. Response to a medication such as glyburide typically is seen within a week of reaching a therapeutic dose - the level of this dose differs based on a lot of factors. Metformin has a same sort of pattern.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.