Hi.

My daughter (age eight) recently had some blood work done for chronic diarrhea and abdominal pain.

I got her labs a couple days ago and the doctors office called me today. They told me my daughter had a milk gluten sensitivity. (She had an ultrasound and all looked well)

On her lab tests she had TGG IgA (weak positive) done and TGG IgG (negative) done. Is this normal for one to be positive and one negative?

I'm trying to make an appointment to see a GI. I hope he has more answers.

My question is will she have to cut gluten from her diet? Is a sensitivity bad enough to warrant that? In others opinion will other tests need to be done?

I don't think this is related to that but her ALK Phosphatase was high as well. Just in case anyone knows what that can indicate!

Thanks so much!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2017
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

If celiac disease is suspected then an upper gi endoscopy and small bowel biopsy preferably from the jejunum would be required. evidence of dermatitis herpetiformis should also be look for. if celiac disease is confirmed then wheat oat rye and Barley may be cut off from the diet by your doctor. however prior to the biopsy these food should not be stopped as it may interfere with the investigation.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Diarrhea, Diet
Quick Reply
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Celiac Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.