For the past year I've had digestive issues in my life. When I'd wake up I would have to run to the bathroom before school every day or after I ate a meal I would feel the urge to go to the bathroom with in 5 to 10 minutes. I just moved out of my house this year and symptoms haven't gotten much better. I went to the doctor finally after I got tired of the stomach aches and the urge to go to the bathroom after every meal. At this time I had abdominal pain in the center right of my belly button and the doctor thought it was possible gall bladder related. I got an ultra sound and my gall bladder was normal and my liver. She also ran some blood work and everything was normal. She recommended me to a gostro doctor but I haven't went.

Present day. I've come to think it was a gluten allergy. I based this on my last visit to panera bread. I had a bread sandwich and a piece of bread with my soup and soon after I had to pass bowls right after. Since that suspicion of gluten allergy I've been on a a gluten free diet and I've went from passing 1-2 bowls a day to one and feeling much better after every meal.

I guess wondering if this is safe to assume this was a gluten intolerance. I feel way better and my stomach doesn't hurt anymore or growl loudly. My stools are normal and not loose as they were before I changed the diet. My only concern is that I have experienced weight loss with this new diet. I've lost 12pds but I believe that's due to this diet. I've never eaten greens in my life before this change I was strictly eating terribly. Bagel bites or frozen pizza or other junk food. I was a very picky eater. Please comment and let me know if this does sound accurate
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 25th, 2013
Since your symptoms greatly improved after going gluten free, it is safe to say that is the culprit. When I was diagnosed by a functional medicine doctor for high gluten intolerance, due to a specific blood and stool test, I began a slow transition as well. I lost 20 pounds the first year and have finally evened out. I used to eat a ton of wheat products, like most people, so it has taken me longer to heal. Gluten can stay in your system for up to a year after consumption and cause effects the whole time. If you really want to know, stay off for a month and then eat it again and you will feel really bad again. I'm done forever, myself. I had 20 years of pain, frequent bathroom trips, cramping etc, that was all labeled IBS-D by my doctor and then forgotten. The actual celiac test is useless and most MDs don't believe in "gluten intolerance". Good luck to you and listen to your body.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....