Medical Questions > Nutrition > Gluten Free Diet Forum

Gluten Intolerance and milk related trouble. Need advice

Hi,
I have been suffering from gluten intolerance from many years. I am 24 now. After having serious problems (like headaches most of the days; itching sensations after taking a bath (aquagenic pruritus); bloated stomach always; uneasy feelings; stomach problems), I finally decided to give up wheat, corn , barley, rye based products. I am on medication from doctors regarding this.
But the problem is that i recently have noticed that milk causes problems too. so am also on a milk free diet; citric acids give an acid reflux.
So I want advice regarding what to eat thats readily available. Like what to look for while at the supermarket or when on a dinner with friends at a restaura. And also what drinks to avoid.

[P.S: Please dont give the names of gluten free products available in the supermarket; just natural things]

Additional info: Am on a gluten free diet for 4 to 5 months now. And eating is very hectic ('Mad') like rice all the time everyday.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Shanniidoll
|

replied June 25th, 2013
Hi Smile
I have also been gluten intolerant for about 5 years now myself, and also very sensitive to lactose (and gf soy milk, weirdly enough)... When going to restaurant I tend to avoid things with any gravies, or powdered stocks, as well as chips (as they are often cooked in oil that has been contaminated by other crumbed/ battered products) keep an eye out for anything with a maize thickener (that's corn...) and avoid rye, malt, spelt, and oats. If having mashed potato (or anything with butter) you may want to ask for the butter to be used out of a fresh, unopened pack as the regular one will be cross contaminated with breadcrumbs and the like Smile

If you're looking for something new to try, keep and eye out for some quinoa (pronounced keen-wah :p) or buckwheat (I enjoy it as a pasta, although you can bake with it and make all your bread/ biscuits and cakes with it). Tapioca is also delicious, but typically used for a desert product, and I was going to suggest polenta but then I remembered that you have cut out corn as well.
I know you asked not to suggest any actual products, but in terms of milk I really like the lactose free cows milk and a really good brand for that is called "Liddells". Almond milk is also nice, but very sweet (you can buy unsweetened).
Also, just a little fun fact for you, wheat glucose syrup is actually gluten free. Although for anyone who is specifically wheat sensitive and not gluten intolerant, it will still affect them.
Best of luck Smile
|
Users who thank Shanniidoll for this post: Gluten_free 

replied June 26th, 2013
Thanks for the reply. Smile
Will surely look out for the things mentioned by you.
But one more thing that confuses me is that whether ketchups and Vinegar contain gluten or not?
|

replied June 26th, 2013
Hi! Smile
Well the best way to tell is to read the ingredients and look out for things like malt, barley (or malted barley :p), rye, oats and wheat of any kind (spelt, durum, etc.). Corn is gluten free (as I'm sure you know :p) but since you don't eat that either it will be tough to find sauces/ marinades you can eat because most times it will either have a wheaten thickening agent, or a maize starch thickener (sometimes you can find gf products that use things like rice/potato/tapioca starch as thickeners rather than corn).

As for vinegar, always check the label; but most times any vinegar that's not "malt vinegar" will be gluten free Smile

I hope that helps Smile
|
Users who thank Shanniidoll for this post: Gluten_free 

replied September 22nd, 2013
Hi everyone.
I wanted to ask if you all may feel I have gluten sensitivity, according to my symptoms, which are: frequent headaches (as wel as migraines at times which seem to be hormonally related), itchy scalp (but no dandruff), itchy skin at times, achy muscles and joints, alot of gas and bloating (but no diarrhea or constipation), major sleep problems, alot of acid reflux and heartburn! I have been told I have Fibromyalgia, but I am thinking that the cause of my pain, fatigue and itchiness could be a gluten allergy! Any opinions?
Thanks so much:)
KIM:)
|

replied September 25th, 2013
The best test for gluten issues is to go off of it for 2-4 weeks and see how you feel? Most people see a drastic difference. I've been gluten free for a year, previously misdiagnosed as IBS-D, which isn't even a true disease. Eating was a challenge in the beginning but it's gotten easier. Alot of fruits, veggies, meats,nuts etc. Turkey, chicken, fish etc. Restaurant eating is still difficult for me because of cross contamination. If the food is cooked with all of the gluten food it is no longer gluten free. Hope this helps.
|
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....