Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Glucose Tolerence Test Results

I just had a glucose tolerence test a few days ago for diabetes. My glucose level before the test began was 95 which is good. My glocose level was above 200 at the one hour point but at the end of the test, the two hour point, my glocose level was down to 127. The Physician's Assistance told me I had Type 2 Diabetes because my glucose level rose above 200 during the test although it came back down to 127 at the end which is in the nondiabetic range. The PA want's me to start taking pills for diabetes. I'm not overweight, exercise regularly and in good health otherwise & feel if I do have diabetes, I can control it just by diet. I actually feel at worst, I am more in the potentially diabetic group & can control it by diet alone. What do you think?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 30th, 2013
Hi,

I do not know what other risks your doctor has seen during the test, but, to my opinion, it seems everything normal.

Keep in mind that within the first hour, it is normal for the blood sugar to raise (even up to 200 as in your case). Within the second hour, your blood glucose went back to normal again, which is fine.

Therefore, you can discuss with your doctor to "re-examine" your case and diagnosis.

Next, if the "real" diagnosis is diabetes, then, within the first 3 months, lifestyle and diet changes are recommended. At the end of this time, the health condition of the patient is revised to decide if to go for pills or not.

You can discuss this kind of therapy with your doctor too reminding the latest updates on diabetes management.

Hope it helped!

Simple Steps to Beating Diabetes Naturally
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.