I've had hypoglycemia for years, and it steadily got worse.
Finally a Dr ordered a Glucose Tolerance Test and here are the results

FBS: 101
Drank 50grams sugar
1/2 hour later: 196
1 hour later: 221
2 hours later: 103
3 hours later: 65
10 min. after this last reading, I was so shaky, I had to eat and go home.
So I missed the 4 hr test.
Dr. says the 196 and 221 are too high, but the 65 doesn't indicate hypoglycemia.
I told her all my hypoglycemia symptoms and how it is fixed with orange juice and peanut butter, and bread and then 2 hrs lying down.
She then wrote a precription for 250mg Metformin once a day.
It has made a big improvement as far as I am not starving 2 hrs after eating, and I do not crave carbs any more. I am hoping it will now be easier to lose 30 lbs.
I'd like opinions please,
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 11th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Those tests reveal hypoglycemia. The initial numbers are quite high, but all that suggests, to me at least, is what I've read, you're starting to slowly creep into the diabetic phase, but aren't there yet and can, with hard work, reverse your condition. The problem is doctors base this determination usually on diabetic levels of 'hypoglycemia'. Even then, however, 65mg is considered hypoglycemic by most standards. The important thing is not how low it goes (though that can be important), but how FAST it goes down. If you look at your readings there you're taking huge drops at each hour. It would have been good if you made it to the fourth hour, but still it's clear (I would bet you crept down into the 60-55mg range). Thankfully, recent studies at John Hopkings are finally showing that in cases of hypoglycemia not related to diabetes, the speed of the drop is more important than the level. I wish I could find the article I read, but I can't seem to now. You'll see the issue mentioned in Wikipedia, however, so the knowledge is slowly getting out there.
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2009
Experienced User
There's a thing called Relative Hypoglycemia.
It means that in spite of where you blood sugar ends, the descent was too quick and too big.

No normal person would literally jump from 103 to 65.

65 is low anyway but even if it wasn't it's the jump that is too extreme. As you can see you initial numbers are too high meaning your blood sugar spikes and your pancreas released to much insulin which is way your blood sugar crashed. Any diabetic person I know consider normal a glucose spike where glycemia is not more than 140 after the first hour.

Which again proves that Reactive Hypoglycemia (as Jeff O'Connell points out) is DIABETE'S MOST BRILLIANT DISGUISE OF ALL !
|
Quick Reply