User Profile
I have 3 identical glucose monitors. I keep one at home, one at work, and one in the car. Yesterday I decided to test with all 3 to see how closely they would read. Within less than a minute, the first said 167, the second said 79, and the third was 109. This was after testing all 3, each with the test fluid that came in the box with it. How are you supposed to know which (or if) one is right?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied August 3rd, 2010
Diabetes Answer A14907
Hi,
Welcome to the forum. I am really glad to help you out. I completely agree with the dilemma you must be in. A variation of up to 10 is expected amongst various glucometers but such wide variation is not expected at all. It is very difficult for me to comment which one is the right reading. The best way to do the same is to corroborate with a reading of the lab.

The same blood sample with which the lab personnel measures the glucose should be used to measure by using the glucometer. In this way, one can know which lab reading is the closest to the glucometer and is thus the right one. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: Diabetes
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.