Medical Questions > Mens Health > Mens Conditions Forum

Glucose levels and disturbed glucose regulation

User Profile
My question is the following, I have had blood tests and have teh folowing results:-

Cholesterol
LDL4.51
HDL 9.6

Glucose 6.11

Gamma GT 81

I know I am high on LDL cholesterol, but how worried shoudl I be about my glucose and Gamma GT reading.

Tahnks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 31st, 2008
Mens Conditions Answer A4503
Your glucose level is borderline so you can request a glucose tolerance test (GTT) to confirm or exclude diabetes or certain of the conditions of disturbed glucose regulation (IFG and IGT).

Gamma GT (gamma glutamyl transpeptidase) is an enzyme that is present mostly in the liver and kidney cells. Normal levels of gamma-GT are from 0 to 51 IU/L. Elevated levels of Gamma-GT indicates that there could be liver or kidney disease. Several more biochemical analyses can be requested to find out if there is really something wrong with those organs: AST, ALT, alkaline phosphatase (ALP), bilirubin, urea, creatinin and urine analyses. Ultrasound examination of the abdominal organs can be also requested. If everything is okay that gamma-GT result could be wrong.

You may want to consult an internist about these laboratory results.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Millions of men experience prostate problems every year. But what defines prostate enlargement and how does the prostate grow as it enlarges?...
What puts a man at risk of having an enlarged prostate? And what causes the prostate to grow in the first place? Answer your questions here....
An enlarged prostate rarely occur before a man is 40. Learn the signs and symptoms BEFORE they occur. And know when to seek help for bothersome symptoms....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mens Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.