Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

GLobus pharyngeus

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
User Profile
I have been having food stuck in my throat for two years now. It is a constant feeling after anything I eat. The feeling of the food stuck always starts at the top of my throat than moves to the bottom of my throat just above my collar bone. I have been to 6 ENTs and nobody knows what it is. I have had MRI (nothing shown), I have had CT scan (showed mild calcificaiton of the Styloid Process)not significant enough to cause my problem, I had a motility test (showed slight motility disorder) nothing you can do about it. I had 24 hour PH test (showed mild acid reflux) I am taking Prevacid Solutab 30 MGs every morning, doesn't help). I have also had three endoscopies (showed smaill hiatla hernia, had another endoscopy showed it went away. Showed H Pylori as well. I took antibiotics to get rid of the bacteria. Now, I don't have H-pylori but, I still have the feeling in my throat). I have also had 6 lyarenoscopies and never shows anyhting. I also had three barium swallow and nothing.Any ideas

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2010
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A9246
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

In view of your symptoms and the tests which have been carried out, you likely seem to be suffering from globus pharyngeus in which there’s a feeling of a lump in the throat and there’s actually no pathological obstruction in the food pipe.

This commonly occurs due to anxiety or depression and taking anti-anxiety or anti-depressant pills helps in overcoming the same. I’ll suggest consulting a psychiatrist for the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.