User Profile
I am a 22 year old female, 5'0" 100 pounds and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this and had it resolved.

I have been experiencing what feels like fluid retention/swelling underneath my jaw everyday for the last 5.5 years. The swelling lasts throughout the day and I don't notice any triggers. It can get even worse when I'm not drinking enough water, but even when I do drink enough water it's still pretty bad. I also keep a low salt intake. The swelling can go down a lot after a shower, only for it to swell up again later. Doctors found nothing after feeling my jaw/neck. The pressure was just absolutely unbearable, but it went back to the usual degree of swelling the next day after getting my period. But it still swells up even when I'm not close to my period.

My blood test results showed that I appeared to be immune to mumps, but I also heard that one can still get mumps even when they're vaccinated. Or could it be some salivary gland disorder?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 1st, 2019
Gland Disorders Answer A65154
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

Intermittent jaw swelling is due to stensen duct obstruction and if painful then its due to parotid duct calculus.
Recurrent jaw swelling is due to viruses especially mumps.Reinfection is possible with mumps virus but the disease is very mild.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.