User Profile
I have idiopathic primary central hypogonadism. My LH and FSH levels do not elevate even in the presence of low total and low free testosterone. I am uncertain if this is going to be permanent? I am 23 years old now and have had multiple trials off synthetic testosterone. Two of which were 4 months and neither duration of synthetic testosterone cessation improved my FSH and LH levels. Total testosterone dropped around 300 ng/dL lower without testosterone replacement therapy medication. I have a lot of testes atrophy and regularly see an endocrinologist doctor for my hormones. My doctor said I will have to see a urologist and stop testosterone medication if I ever wish to attempt to have children. I am uncertain when I will want to have children, if ever. I am saddened that the needed testosterone medications may render me permanently infertile from atrophying my testes. My testes are already very low in volume, and it seems likely that I will most likely become sterile sadly.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 23rd, 2018
Gland Disorders Answer A64616
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Central hypogonadism is usually permanent.
You should continue hormone replacement and shouldn't be much concerned about it.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.