Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Glad to find you all - 10 years out

Hello everyone, I just wanted to say I'm glad to have found this site because I can at least feel comforted that I'm not going out of my mind.

Ten years ago when I was 20 my galbladder gave up on me and just quit working. It was pretty painful and at the time I weighed 105lbs soaking wet so when it started interferring with my my weight and over all exsistance it had to go.

Since then I've ALWAYS had the dumping syndrome if I eat anything too fatty or greasy. It got better and I knew what triggered it and basically I could eat the same way I used to but I just had to be careful. Now after 10 years it's gotten worse and the past 3 weeks alone just about every thing I eat makes me sick, some days multiple times a day. I'm super tired of the pain and feeling ill.

My mom says to watch my sugars but she's looking up dumping syndrome in equation with gastric bypass which I never had. I can eat candy pop and donuts all day and not have one problem but give me a bowl of chicken noodle soup or a sandwhich with mayo on it and Im crying in the bathroom sweaty and ready to pass out. I'm pretty depressed about the idea of going on a diet and laying down after I eat and I know that sounds silly and I know life with a quiter galbladder felt MUCH WORSE but I'm bummed out still.

I hear medimucil works for some people at curbing the quick exxodus of my stomach contents. Anyone had success with it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Although removal of the gallbladder can relieve symptoms - the horrible pain, indigestion, bloating, and diarrhea, long-term relief is not guaranteed; in fact, four out of ten patients still experience the same problems as before surgery.

This may be due to the fact that a cholecystectomy does not address the root of the problem, which is diet, not the gallbladder itself.

There are bound to be temporary digestive issues with digestive health, post surgery. This is mainly because of the difficulty faced by the body to dissolve and emulsify fats, after the gall bladder removal. Unmonitored, high-fat intake after the surgery, could result in diarrhea or puffiness in the region.

The most effective way to prevent a reoccurrence of the issues that existed before gallbladder removal surgery, including the formation of stones, is to follow a specific diet after gallbladder surgery.

The diet should include: Lean meat, skinned fish and chicken ; Eggs ; Skimmed milk ; Low fat cheese, yogurts and spreads ; Soups ; Salads ; Grilled fish and chicken; Legumes

Foods that need to be avoided: include -Fried foods ; Spicy food ; Whole grain breads ; Cereals, seeds and nuts ; Baked beans ; Broccoli ; Cabbage ; Brussel sprouts ; Cauliflower ; Peanuts ; and Pastries

After the removal of the gall bladder, it is very essential to maintain a low carbohydrate and high protein diet. Reduction in cooking medium while tempering meats and fish helps a lot. It is also advisable to adopt six smaller meals rather than three large ones.

Without the gall bladder, digestion does become difficult and hence this shift in the diet plan is required. A liquid diet for some time is ideal. However, if it is not completely possible, then you could consider semi liquid meal components that are non-fatty and low-carb, essentially.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.