Medical Questions > Relationships > Dating Forum

girlfriends 18th birthday what should i get her?

well this one is quite simple, any thoughts on what would be really nice for me to get her? its going to be her 18th in a few weeks and i need to get her something nice, ive kept $400 together for the gift and i would like to get her something romantic.

I am currently with the army, and she has had a specific eye on one of the shirts in my closet (an army recruiting shirt) since we have been going out, she tells me shes going to steal it from me while im sleeping (jokingly obviously) but i cant give it to her because it was a gift from some of my army buddys while we were in boot camp together.

so my idea is to find another shirt with the same designs on it and buy it for her in her size, give her a pair of dogtags with my name on one and hers on the other, and give her some jewlary for the rest. some help on what type of jewlary i should buy ie. necklace, ring, bracelet, earings. or what they should be made with ie. gold, diamond, silver or whichever.

and if you want just tell me a completly new idea, im open for suggestions. thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2008
Supporter
If you buy her a push-up bra, cellulite cream and a corset I will personally wring your neck! Very Happy
But joking aside: I think your ideas are just perfect. Jewelry is a good idea as sexy negligee won’t go down well with her parents. Personally I would go for gold. It seems that you are really into this (very lucky) girl, so a ring might be a good idea. Rings symbolizes commitment and it is something that she can wear everyday to remind her of you when you are not with her.
Bottlewater, PLEASE don’t marry this girl and change. There is very few good men out there.
|
Users who thank Beline for this post: bottledwater 

replied August 10th, 2008
Experienced User
Personally I would start with the flowers, most of the girls feel very special when you get them flowers. If you want a jewelry, buy gold (some people are allergic to other metals, like myself, i can't wear silver). I white gold circle with diamonds is a nice gift or a white gold heart with the diamonds also is really nice.

Do not buy ring, there are different sizes rings,
Earing, pretty hard to find the one girls like, some girls prefer certain type of locks over the others, not sure about that, but don;t go for it.
Do not buy watches, it's a very bad gift.

IMHO Perfect gift for a girls birthday will be
bouquet of roses (they you buy roses make sure you take a look at them, if flowers are big and opened up widely, try to avoid those, they will dies in a couple of days) Also make sure there are ODD number of roses (Hard to explain why, you can find it online)
Necklace (already told you what to buy)
Victoria Secrets Gift card

Good Luck!!
|
Users who thank unnamedny for this post: bottledwater 

replied August 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
my boyfriend when we first started dating noticed a ring on my ring finger..he questioned me about it and i'd told him an ex gave it to me but i was just so used to wearing a ring on that finger that i kept it on..so one weekend when I came home on a college break he surprised me..took me to the spot where we had our first date and gave me a beautiful pink sapphire ring with 2 small diamonds on the side of the pink sapphire(he knew pink is my favorite color)..that is still my favorite present he has ever given me...he gave it to me as a promise ring... we were long distance at the time since i was in college and he wanted to make sure guys knew i was taken haha and everytime i looked at it i thought of him

so the ring Idea really worked for me i looooved it... though my cousins boyfriend of 4 years REFUSES to get her a ring until he gets the engagement ring haha...flowers work well too!
|
Users who thank worrywart01 for this post: bottledwater 

replied August 11th, 2008
Experienced User
aww your idea about getting her an army shirt with some dog tags, with your name and hers is too sweet! my boyfriend is ex-military and gave me one of his army shirts. its grey and has the logo on the back and the army logo on the front. i wear it around the house ( but i put a safety pin on the back to sinch it and it molds to my body prefectly lol) and he loves it lol she would really love that. flowers would be awesome too with the dog tags tucked inside the bouquet.
|
Users who thank user108361 for this post: bottledwater 

thanks
thanks for the help from everyone, i appreciate it.

although the flowers sound nice, i just got her some roses a month ago or so, and although she loved them unfortunatly they didnt last very long at her house. so i want to try something different to surprize her, i think im going to go with the shirt, dogtags, and a ring. i already know her size of rings from shopping with her, but just incase ill try to find one with a good warranty (i assume they have warrantys for rings? ive never looked)

like worrywart01 said, shes going away to university soon and i want to keep all those bookworms off her if i have to go anywhere.

thanks again for all your suggestions and support
|

User Profile
Supporter
No problem. I agree on the flowers. I know a lot of woman find it romantic, but I personally don’t like gifts that can die. Very Happy
|
Users who thank Beline for this post: bottledwater 

Extremely eHealthy
yep no problem

and to answer your question yes most places do have a warranty on the ring but it may cost extra...my boyfriend got my ring from kays and they offered a warranty for it, they inspect it every 6months and if anything is wrong they'll fix it and anytime I want it polished up i just stop by if we're in the mall and bored or something Smile

I got him a promise ring from there too for our 1 year anniversary last year, it has engraving in it Smile he dropped hints every now and then that he wanted it buuuuut due to the price I wanted to make sure it was for a special occassion...i have no idea what to do next year for the big 3 year! Oh time flies!

Bottledwater, I think your ideas sound fantastic she should love it!
|
Users who thank worrywart01 for this post: bottledwater 

replied February 17th, 2010
Re: girlfriends 18th birthday what should i get her?
Hi
Whats your plans for this year ??? what gift will you buy for your girlfriend ???

|

replied March 11th, 2010
I've gotten previous girlfriends some jewelry myself. I normally go with a combo of two things, in this case, you can do jewelry and roses. Even though roses will die eventually, I think she'll always remember the time when you got them for her as a gift. If she takes a picture of them, she'll be reminded of how she felt that day when u got her the thoughtful gifts.
|

replied April 23rd, 2010
In response to hausin, this year im planning a trip to Hawaii for us, still some things im working out with timelines and such but if Hawaii doesent work out then some other country with a pretty beach and all inclusive resort.

As for what i got her for her 18th (2 years ago), it happened to be a white gold ring (cant remember the karots - carrots? im no good with this stuff still) with 3 diamond clusters along the top.
|

replied December 17th, 2012
I think that giving her another shirt with the same designs on it on her size is a great idea. You can also decorate her a room, she will love it.
|

replied August 9th, 2016
Give her a funny cartoon from her photo. It's always nice and original I guess. I like such gifts, my boyfriend gave me my portrait on my Birthday)
|
Quick Reply