Medical Questions > Relationships > Relationships and Marriage Forum

Girlfriend was horribly abused as a child.

So I have this beautiful girlfriend whom I've been dating for the last six months, and while it sounds naive, especially for someone my age (1Cool, I am completely and hopelessly in love with her.
And so like about a week ago, she had a panic attack. After I calmed her down, I asked her what was wrong and she told me (after much hesitation) that she had been horribly abused by her father from ages 11-15. I won't get into any details, but to put it this way: she was abused for so long and in such brutal manner that she is incapable of bearing children.
After she told me everything, I hugged her and told her that she would always be the love of my life. She, in some way, has moved on, but I know she carried that horrible trauma with her; I sometimes fear she might violently lash out because...well, it's something one knows, if you know what I mean...
I love her with my entire being, and I want to help her get pass this in any way I can, or at least help her in some way. I honestly do not want to loose her.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile FadedRose

User Profile
replied January 16th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Hello Devoted Lover,

I commend you for supporting your girlfriend through th is difficult time in her life. The male figure that did the unmentionable things that no human being should experience especially by their male sperm donor. Notice I will not address him as her "Father" because he isn't one. He is a sexual predator who needs mental help.

Your girlfriend is very fortunate to have you in her life, however, your love isn't enough. Due to the horrific nature of her abuse and whom it is by, she needs professional psychological help. She will need it for years to come. I want you to go with her to see a certified social worker, then contact your local Distract Attorney's Office and file charges againist that male sperm doner. You can find both by doing a search online in your city or via the phone book. The school won't be very much help, you have to be strong and take her by the hands and be veryyyyy persistant in getting her to the offices of these people...they will know exactly what to do. You need to ask the District Attorney for a restraining order againist that male sperm donor as well. Don't be afraid, this will be for the best...she needs to start mending, the sooner the better.

Good Luck,

Faded Rose
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank FadedRose for this post: devotedlover1993 

replied January 22nd, 2012
Thank you for the reply.
Thankfully (in some way...) the 'male sperm donor' left my girlfriend a few months after he stopped abusing her; she says it was because he 'got bored with her' (from what she told me, that's what he said).
As for the Distric Attorney, I would like to know if there is a way to get a restraining order without the sperm donor present, because from what I know, he has been missing for three years now.
All in all, thanks for the advice. I'll also try to convince her to go to therapy, because I really would like to at least stop these panic attacks. I am capable of calming her by myself (a big hug, whispering sweet things, a few kisses do the job...), but it is frustrating to see her like that.
Did you find this post helpful?