Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Gingiva inflammation and adjustment of braces

User Profile
I have a swelling like formation near the lower molar and this gives a slightly swollen appearance to the lower right corner of my mouth.The swelling hasn't subsided snce the past year.....I have to wear temporary braces since 1 yr and due to paucity of time haven't checked this out with my dentist.I have problems while talking and it also affects my appearance.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2009
Dental Health Answer A5808

According to the information you provided, the braces might be causing inflammation of the gingiva (gums). You might want to visit your dentist to have him check if and where the braces cause too much pressure to the gums. If there is pain, then the inflammation might have turned into an abscess. The dentist might adjust the braces and/or check if any tooth needs repair to drain the potential abscess beneath.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Dental Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.