I've had some GI issues for a few years now, and currently my doctor(s) aren't being much help, as my symptoms doesn't seem to fit the IBS, Crohns, or cancer bill. Best guess right now is I may be slightly lactose intolerant, and possibly gluten intolerant (and I hope not both!), which I'm in the process of testing for myself. So far the results are promising, but not 100%. Of course I could just ask my doctor to be tested for them... I get cramping almost daily in my lower right quadrant (my left side to those w/o any medical educating), in the descending colon, which is usually taken care of after a few bowel movements. Sometimes it'll cramp throughout the day with no need for a BM. I think it does it for fun. And for an added bonus when it's feeling especially grumpy, I'll get sharp stabbing pains in the same area for no reason.

Gas: OMG am I tired of passing gas. I eat breakfast in the morning, and so far it doesn't seem to matter what I ate, but when I eat lunch, like clockwork, I start passing gas like it's going out of style. Some of the culprits seem to be certain cereals (eaten with Lactaid milk no less) that are wheat or oat based, waffles/pancakes, scrambled eggs (made with or without milk), cinnamon rolls. I even tried just eating an apple and some toast and it happened. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for it. Eat lunch; pass gas a lot. I seem to be getting night gas a lot too, which usually wake me up in the morning. Today I had some fruit for breakfast, then had a nice salad for lunch, and almost instantly it sounded like world war 3 was going on in my gut, with gas.

Testing the LI theory: So far lactose intolerance seems to be the best explanation so far. I had trouble with milk when I was a baby, but never seemed to be a problem as I got older, or any other dairy products. I'm 34 now. I stopped buying regular milk and switched to Lactaid milk, which I'm quite enjoying. I don't get "milk farts" with that (gas smells like rotten milk) and the taste is more enjoyable. I've even tried Lactaid pills which have generated some success, but trying to narrow down problem foods is a real hassle. I've never read so many ingredient labels in my life!

I'm trying to weed out gluten which as most of you know is not an easy task. Eating fruit in the morning versus cereal and other things. Still cramping in my left side with some gas to go with it. But general improvement overall with a fruit-only breakfast. I've made pancakes a few times using gluten-free bisquick and haven't had any problems from those, gas or otherwise. I'm so happy with it I ordered three boxes from Amazon! (cheaper)

In an attempt to regulate my GI tract, I've tried fiber bars, which makes for more BM's and a great deal of night gas (gluten heavy no doubt). My doc suggested probiotic supplements like Activia, but that only seemed to make things worse (perhaps due to lactose intolerance?) I'll have to find a probiotic supplement that doesn't contain whey or gluten.

Stool is generally loose and comes out sporadically. I don't know the last time I had a good solid BM, but never do I get diarrhea. It's just loose, like soft serve ice cream. And I'm never constipated. Lately I'll have to make multiple trips to the bathroom before the cramping stops.

Rice crackers, rice cakes, rice in general and as much gluten-free that I can find have been my staples for about two weeks now. There's still some gluten containing items around that I have a weakness for that I need to kick.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm about to give up eating! (great weight loss plan, bad for other things)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 8th, 2012
I would suggest going green (and I don't mean recycling). If i were in your shoes i would start increasing the amount of greens you eat on a daily basis from whatever it is now to almost a ridiculous amount. Greens really help balance the intestinal flora and provide great nourishment to the body. It's not really practical to eat lots of greens so i make smoothies and (as weird as it sounds) put handfuls of greens in and it has totally helped me with gas.

I also take an enzyme/probiotic/prebiotic (especially when I eat something that normally gives me issues) and it totally does the trick for me. I know it's whey free, but I'm not sure about gluten free. I order it at 2day.awarenesslife.com if you want to look at it.

I used to get cramps and have terrible gas all the time and these are the things that helped me. I hope they help you too. Smile
|

replied January 8th, 2012
I also have similar symptoms and have dealt with it for several yrs. I have exhausted all traditional medical test and not that I wouldn't go back to my GI Dr. but I'm not rushing back. Several months ago I was referred to a wellness clinic and have been seeing someone who has help alleviate some of my symptoms.
I wont share my dietary supplements or food elimination diary because everyone has different body chemistry ,and well, what works for me might not be so good for you. I've tried all the coconut water, aloe juice, apple cider vinegar etc... that I read about online and trust me it's a waste of your time and money. The only advice I can give you is not to self diagnose and continue searching for answers. Treatment is out there is just hard to find.
Get well soon.
|
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....