Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Get small itchy bumps along small cuts, take weeks to heal?

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
a few months ago I scratched my middle finger on some keys, it didn't bleed, but the skin was torn in a few places, instead of healing I got these small itchy bumps along the cut, it took weeks for this to clear up. A few days ago I scratched my thumb on the edge of a table, the same general kind of cut, no bleeding, just torn skin, the area now has about a dozen small bumps where the cut was. Almost all cuts take much longer to heal than the average person should, and I get infections very easily. A doctor told my mom when I was younger that the bacteria on my skin is more excessive than normal. Do I need to consult a doctor about these bumps? or is this just something that happens, and I should just keep it clean and use ointment and band-aids?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2012
Skin Answer A32341
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

These small bumps close to the wound could be due to folliculitis or infection of the hair follicle with staph bacteria.

I suggest you to get an evaluation done from a dermatologist and till that time, apply warm compresses on the bumps and keep the area clean. Topical antiseptic treatment and topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment is very useful.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.