Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Get depressed when I think of growing old or dying (Page 1)

About it January it dawned on me that there is no afterlife or heaven or hell or ANYTHING. I literally felt like someone punched me in the face and stomach. I get so depressed when I think about age or the DISTANT future (like 100, 1000, 1,000,000 years from now). I won't be here, I'll be dead.

I think that when you die it's like when before you were born, nothing. It's so hopeless, I won't know anything. And I'm 13 now, pretty young, but I'll just keep getting older and older and older It's so unbearable. I guess if I were going to die I wouldn't want to see it coming.

When I "figured out" that there was nothing after death, after about a week of utter depression I decided to do anything and everything I possibly can before I die. But I don't know what to do. I don't know where to start. How can I not fear death or at least cope with it better?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper 5050
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2009
Supporter
Honey--What has happened to you to make you feel this way..13 is so young..Why do oyu not believe there is a heaven?I believe and I am 56..I am a grandmother who believes that life only gets better as the years moves onward..There is so much to give and so much you can receive..
Can you talk with your parents on how youi feel? DO you have sisters or brothers-anyone close? Do you belong to any group-church, school? You do need to talk with a councelor if for nothing more than to get out these feelings you are having..
When I leave this earth I hope I will know how much time I will have so that I can be sure and love more than I have ever loved before..
I do not dread death as I believe life will continue on in heaven..I am willng to talk if you like..kd
|

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2009
Supporter
when i read a question "does jesus exsist" so many people said no, a lot said yes, but he was just a good guy.
if you havnt been raised in church, you should try to go to church to see what it is like. i had friends that never went to church and dont know anything about the bible.
you should give it a chance. someone created us, i dont believe in the big bang theory.
your thoughts are so dreary, are you sure your not depressed.
and whether your religious or not most people know that death is like being in a deep sleep. you feel no pain, your at peace.
as a christian there's something i need to explain to you by private message.
|

replied June 12th, 2009
Experienced User
Hi Orangeshirt,
Let me tell you first...You will be living forever. That's a promise from Jesus Christ. How do I know? There is so much I could prove to you, but this forum hasn't enough room for me to explain things. And yes, God said we all have to die once...but to live forever. We will even see our families and friends.Oh, kiddo...there is so much more we will be looking foreward to. How I wish I could sit down with you and explain what wonderful things are coming and you will be a part of it. I will tell you this, if you knew what I know, you would be more than privaliged to be born and have the chance at what God has in store for us.Death, my little friend is but a door toward something much greater. This can be proven. If you want to know more of what I'm talking about, I'll be glad to answer your questions on this forum. If not, ask the people that take care of this site if they will give you my email address. If they need my okay, they just need to email me and I'll give them my permission. 5050
|

replied January 28th, 2011
Hey, I am 17 and this past year I have felt exactly what Orangeshirt feels. His words are what I would have said exactly. I get depressed about thinking of dying and not being a part of this Earth or being around anymore. My parents are divorced and my dad goes to church and believes and my mom believes in God but doesnt think it is necessary to go to church every week. I really don't know what to say. I view my life as a progress bar. I think to myself "if I live to be 100 I am almost 1/5 done with my life." This is when my mind really starts racing. I honestly dont want to talk with anyone because it is a sensitive topic to me and I am normally a vibrant person. Just this one mental flaw if you can call it that. I dont want to talk with my mom that intimately because I would basically tell her "I am depressed" and it has such a negative connotation to it. I look at many people and I ask myself, "Aren't they nervous about dying?" I am not suicidal at all because I want to live my life to the fullest but I honestly am ashamed at how little time people live. Please give me feedback.
|

replied January 28th, 2011
Experienced User
Hi thinksabouteverything,
Let me tell you, you are not alone,as this world is in a mess right now and I feel depressed about that at times. But, there is more to look forward to. Believe it or not there is a God that created you and loves you and has a plan for you...a terrific plan. You're here to fit into that plan. All of us are. You are promised a life forever. Yes, you will die once as God said, but then you will live forever as Jesus Christ said.This life we have right now, is for spiritual growth and choices made. We have been placed in a very special situation. We will become spirit beings one day and become as Christ is. We will have powers beyond our imagination. We will be in the power of love [ God is love ].I can prove this with scriptures, but I don't think I have enough room on this sheet to show you. There is one way for me to show you,that is if you want a lot more info into what I'm saying. Get a hold of me again through this forum and I can each time talk to you about it. I'm not sure if the people that run this forum allows me to give you my email address or not. If they do I will be glad to give it to you or perhaps they'll give it to you. Don't give up because there is so much more to this than you will ever realize. 5050
|

replied December 6th, 2012
how do you have so much faith what has happend?
e-mail me what you have to say please
|

replied January 29th, 2011
It is the unknown that kills me. It is late now and I'd love to talk about it but the fact of not being here and not knowing if there is a god kills me.
|

replied January 30th, 2011
Experienced User
Thiksabout everything, I just wrote
|

replied January 30th, 2011
Experienced User
Thinks, I'm so sorry. I wrote you some things on here and when I hit post a reply, it left. So, I'll try again. I will introduce myself. My name is Jo and I'm a writer of books. I write non-fiction, children and teen fiction books. I have to do a lot of research with the bible and have learned much, over 50 years worth, and am still learning.I want you to remember one thing...you can't see the wind, but you know its there, that goes for God too. You can see God when you look at a tree, blade of grass,etc. And there are times you can feel who God is. Let me give you an example...I was walking down my trail behind ny house a couple of months ago and I was thinking about God, so I looked up and asked him what his kingdom was like. In a split second, a feeling of love enveloped me. A love I can't put into words. All I know is I didn't want it to leave me, but God only allowed me to feel and know who He was for a few seconds. I knew then this was the future for all of us, being in that love...and there is so much more. Don't give up on me, I have lots more I could tell you and scriptures to show you if you want. I have to go some where right now, but I'll be back later.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied February 27th, 2011
I just want to have that feeling you felt to prove to myself that it is real. It is hard for me because I just think it will be the same feeling before I was born. ... Nothing. Just a state of nothingness. The feeling that "we" felt 100 years ago. I dont remember it because I wasnt aliv, and I feel when we die that will be the same feeling. There is no tangible proof and that is the part that depresses me. Why should I think death wont be the same feeling as it was 100 years ago when I didnt exist?
|

replied August 21st, 2011
death
hi, just a few days ago the same inevitable deep depression dawned on me, and it was just indescribable how much it made me sad, i just layed in bed and thought, since i have no religion, one day, sometime in the future, no matter what i do, im going to die. that thought SUCKED. i hated it and couldent stand it being in my head, so i got up and walked around. no, i dident come to some bullsh**t conclusion that i was just gonna be f***ing absolved and go some where dainty and white and fluffy afterwards, i just realized that, this is all weve got, and no matter how f***ing horrible it feels thinking about the end, you just have to live with it, because its not going away, that is one of the few things in the universe that cant be changed. so, LIVE man. the more you think about it the more your killing yourself on the inside. just face the facts and carpei dieum dude. youve GOT TO MAKE THE MOST OF WHAT YOUVE GOT. never stop. never falter. and mostly. dont waste time. how you spend this life is up to you. the end is bleak. but NOW, is vibrant and enjoy it
|

replied August 21st, 2011
Experienced User
Death
pyrowyrm, I'm so sorry this message got to me so late. The bible says we are all going to have to die once. But for now, we are here to learn and grow as we are all headed toward a life that will last forever. You will be alive and you will be a spirit being, no longer a human being, but spirit. Gods plan here on earth is leading us in that direction, and we are the ones that will or won't make the choice to follow that direction...after all, we do have free will. There is tons I could explain to you on this subject. If you want I will be glad to prove to you what I am saying by way of scripture from the bible and by way of the Greek and Hebrew English version of some words in the scripture. Do not be depressed, as There is a lot more coming by way of Gods plan for us. Let me know if you want to continue to talk about this. 5050
|

replied February 27th, 2011
Experienced User
Thinksabouteverything,But you were born and now you feel something because you're alive. The proof you are looking for is standing in your mirror when you look in it. You didn't evolve, as you cannot get something from nothing. You were created by a God that said He was, is and always will be. You're here for a reason, to become a son/ daughter of God. You will be in the God family and surrounded by love. You will have much to do...you won't be sitting around on a cloud all day. The bible called death a curse, but when Jesus Christ died for us all, it is no longer a curse as much as it is a door. When you die your physical body goes to dust, but your spirit [ your breath, your personality, etc ] goes back to God who gave it [ Ecclesiastes 11:7 ]. From there , there is a plan and when it is finished you will live forever as a spirit being. You will be alive as a spirit, not as a fleshy human being, but spirit being. You will no longer feel pain, sickness,or any of the human things we have felt as human beings. Right now you are here on earth to learn things that God wants you to learn and become a better human being. You are a free moral agent...you can make your own choices. If you mess up, God will forgive you if you ask. While we're learning to grow, we're going to make mistakes, God knows that, He's just watching to see what we're going to do with the mistakes we make...learn from them or keep making them. When we learn [ be it good or bad ] we're building character. He's rooting for us to build good, strong character...if we mess up, we're still building character by learning from our mess ups.You too can feel the presence of Gods love, just ask him like I did,perhaps when you're outside when no one is around or at night when you're looking at the stars. Just ask him what his kingdom is like. That's all you have to ask. And don't worry about death, its just going from one door into the next. I'm here if you need me.
|

replied October 10th, 2011
I think It's the lack of tangibility of God that causes the conflict for them 5050. I grew up a believer and now I am saddened to say I'm losing that and even shocked by the same sudden disbelief I have and lack of trust towards what has been written. Duly to studies of empirical related topics, and how everything is described of powers and such from blood, to snakes, to wine. I used to try to stay believing it, but now, why don't we see that stuff now? I understand the return of Yeshua and all but still, It all seems too conveniently placed together with uncertainty and using faith as an excuse to believe in something that only seems to react based on perception. Thus, nothingness and no longer existing is not only sad, depressing, and hurtful, but almost causes feelings of deception. What is the point? Is what it ultimately leads to in feelings in my case.
|

replied October 10th, 2011
Experienced User
depression
Okay,Namethatworks...I'm going to go a little deeper into this subject and try to explain the whys of things. Let me tell you the what and why the deceptions of your feelings. First let me tell you something real quick so you will know I'm not lieing or making things up. I came from a family that dwelt in the paranormal. I had no interest in it even though my mother was trying to push me into it. I still refused and later on the demons that were with her came into my life without me asking. I have had many, many experiences with them [ not good ones ] and they have ever sense tried to take hold of me. But, I fought as hard as I could and almost lost it, when not two weeks later I was introduced to a God that loved me. Things changed very quickly. This time I had a loving God to help me to fight, and He has been there ever since. Are the demons still there, yes, but I have help now. My point is, I too had wondered about much and felt the same way you and the others above felt...hopeless. That is what Satan and his demons [ fallen angels ] want you to feel. They hate all of us and they'll do what ever they can to destroy us, be it by way of depression, divorce, drugs, hate, etc. Why do they hate us so? Because they know we are to become sons [ and daughters ] of God one day. and they don't like that. Now, the reason for God not answering everybodies request, is because he is not ready yet. Man has to show God they love him by obeying him [ 10 commandments ], obeying him because they want to, not because they have to. As many years that I have had fighting with demons, I have had several years learning about God and seeing much. He has let me know what his kingdom is like when I asked him to please show me. He allowed love to envelope me...a love so powerful, I couldn't explain it in a million years, except for the fact it was extremly powerful. This has happened to me twice now. Iv'e had angels help me when some serious things came about in my family. They even spoke to me, but God has never allowed them to appear so I could see them, but just by their voice alone, I knew they were the most loving beings anyone could ever encounter. I think the reason God has allowed these things to happen to me, is because he knows I love him very much, but also knows I'm not perfect, but knows my needs and those needs He has shown me, helped me. Let me tell you, He loves you more than you will ever imagine and all of us are destined for something that's bigger than our selves...much bigger. And its coming. There is so much more I could tell you, but I don't think this forum is long enough. All of what I'm saying is in the bible and so much more. I have done over 40 years worth of study to learn what I have learned so far and haven't touched on all of it. There is so much to learn. But, one thing for sure...God said He would always be with us and we will be in his kingdom one day and its going to be awesome. What we're learning here is helping us become stronger spiritually...the good and the bad. We are being prepared for something so big, its beyond our dreams. It is so great, that God cannot allow evil to enter, because his love is too great. So, every feeling your having is not bad, its telling you to look to God to help you with it and He will. Remember, anything worth having is worth fighting for. You and thousands like you will make it. Don't give up on God, because he isn't going to give up on you. If you want to continue to talk, let me know and I'll be glad to. We have nothing to lose and everything to win.
|

replied October 24th, 2011
Experienced User
namethatworks, how are you feeling? I was thinking about you and thought about something I had not mentioned that may help you a bit. Do you take B vitamins? B Vitamins are very good for the nervous system and may help calm you a bit. If You never have taken them ask your parents about it and see if they feel they will help.
|

replied December 28th, 2011
Depression caused by the thought death
I can't seem to deal with the fact that I will probably live longer than older loved ones and cant comprehend how I would possibly live without them. Im 20 and just recently started thinking about death as I have never had anyone close to me die. But after I suffered a serious injury (but completely recovered). And alsograduated fromhigh school have all of a sudden began to be scared of death. not seeing my friends nearly as much now is also bothering me alot. I just want to live in the childhood stage of my life forever. This has caused me to be extremly depressed lately wich is strange for me because iv been happy for so long. everyone else seems to be transitioning into adulthood much easyer but all its done for me is made me realize how short life is, and made me become very afraid of being alone and eventually dying myself
|

replied December 28th, 2011
Experienced User
Depression
19, I don't think anyone really wants to die, but I know its a reality...but, there is more, a lot more than death. When you die, your spirit [ your breath of life, your personality] will go straight up to God. The time is coming when you will be with and see all your famly members, friends and Jesus Christ himself. There's 42 yesrs worth of bible study and research I've done that I;m going to give you in a sentence. Your physical body will die, but your spirtual body won't. You will be alive in Gods kingdom. You will be able to run, eat drink, appear and disappear, walk through mountains, and actually be able to change your spirit body into a human form if you want to. These are the things that are coming for those that love God...and lots more. We will all be with God and his son and we will be like them in many ways. We will have powers. Love is going to be there, love beyond anything any one knows. We're here now because there are things we have to learn so we can become better human beings and thus , one day better spirit beings. God can help you with what you're going through right now. But, I know how you feel because at times I've felt the same way. And i too understand losing someone. We lost our son 5 years ago [ motorcycle accident ]. I also grieve for my grandparents from time to time, but, I also know I am going to see them again.19, there is hope through death. God has given us a giant blessing...to learn from our mistakes, to learn how to love, learn how to forgive,and much more. All of these good things will go with us when we get to his kingdom.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied January 19th, 2012
Solution TO DEPRESSION.
I'm 26. I've been feeling depressed about gettign old since I turned 24. The only solution I see IS TO BE BUSY WITH LIFE.
|

replied January 19th, 2012
Experienced User
depression
Yes, that helps...staying busy. 5050
|

replied January 23rd, 2012
Don't believe all that nonsense about God and the bible. Don't sitback and think that everything will be alright because I'm going to heaven and I can be with all my friends and family there. If you fall into that you will never fully live the moments to their full extent if that make sense. While you are here endure pain, feel love, be happy and angry and sad. Experience life.. Cause once you take your last breath its all over.
Sure i get upset about it.. And I know it sucks. But trying to make up ways to avoid it only makes you a delusional coward. Would you rather live a lie..Or die knowing the truth?
|

replied January 23rd, 2012
Experienced User
UTI
Freeradical, Have you read and studied the bible? I have [ for over 40 years now ] not only read and studied [ still do ]the bible, but have had many positive experiences in conjuction to God and too many negative happenings with satan and his demons. That invisabile world out there is real...more real than you could ever imagine. There is more hope for the human race than what you think. We are all here for a reason...a big reason. If you studied and read the bible you would know that and so much more.You don't just go to your grave and that's it,your body goes to the grave, but your spirit goes back to God. And you will not be living in heaven, but Gods kingdom will be here on earth. It would be hard to put over 40 years worth of study down on here in a few sentences. But, there is more hope than not. You don't have to believe me,study and find out for your self. And no, man didn't just write the bible...God inspired men to write what He wanted them to write. You will find that in the bible too.
|

replied January 24th, 2012
5050, I was born and raised a Christian. Quite frankly the more i read the bible the more frustrated i became. It left me with more unanswered questioned than what i had initially. Im sorry to say sir (no disrespect intended) that you are delusional. Believing in an "invisible world" doesn't make it real. And why would i want to imagine something whats real? If there is a real invisible world i wouldn't be required to imagine it. i think its a layman's way out of trying to solve the mystery of why we are here. The idea that we all have some "big reason" as to why we are here is childish. There is no divine purpose to anyone's life. Sure we can make a difference to this world whilst we are here but that's all. Men did write the bible. Primitive men with the imaginative potential of a fictional novel author on crack.
You will find alot of things in the bible. I feel sorry that someone of your age and life experience is so easily conned into believing plain stupidity.

See the problem is if i tell you to go and study the universe, you will say to me "Look how complicated everything in our universe is.. I know the answer!! it must be GOD! YES God did this and that and then this ofcourse GOD GOD PRAISE GOD!"
And you know what thats fine, i dont care if you want to live a closed minded life with ignorance of your fellow man and the world around you. I however prefer to live my life trying to acquire as much knowledge as i can in the short time i have here. We might not know 100% how the universe began why we are here and where we came from, but what we as a human race can do is theorize and measure and test and investigate these mysteries.
I DO NOT TAKE KINDLY TO PEOPLE WHO LAY BACK AND CLAIM "GOD" TO BE THE ANSWER TO EVERYTHING
And just to really get this going... why on earth should i believe in your religion when there a hundreds of others to choose from? What makes your religion "correct" so to speak? What if you were raised a Buddhist or Hindu or Muslim? .....
Do you catch my drift sir?
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2012
Experienced User
Old thread and Orange never replied to any of this stuff.

The truth is she was right. We get a life and then it's gone. End of story.

All this other crap is simply wishful thinking.

Don't waste your time devoting it to a delusion. Just live and be content. Death comes to us all and it is nothing to fear. It's just life really.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....