User Profile
i was diagnosed with GERD a few months ago brought on by an allergic reaction to some antibiotics (omnicef)...i have been having problems with chest pains and sometimes tingling in my arm and it radiates into my neck and shoulders and sometimes into my ears...sometimes one side and sometimes both...it sometimes feels hot in my arms and chest..it makes me cough and sometimes it feels like i have a chest cold...it also gives me a headache..i couldn't have imagined that these feelings were coming from my stomach but they are! it usually starts to happen a few hours after i eat...i have been sleeping propped up on the couch for a few months now otherwise it wakes me up in the middle of the night from laying down and the acid coming up...i started taking nexium and it's helped tremendously but if i eat something that is too acidic it acts up again (i can't always tell what has acid in it)...sometimes it lasts a few days and sometimes it only lasts a few hours and then i'll go a few days and nothing happens at all...it has affected my life so much...i am scared to eat cause i don't know what's going to happen...i've lost 15 lbs (which is not always a bad thing) and i am just miserable most of the time....is there anyone that has or has had the same problems or anyone that knows any home remedies or anything that can help??? has anyone had this and it has healed and gone away or do i have to live with this forever?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2010
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. Chest pain can be caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease but for your symptoms I would like to rule out thoracic outlet syndrome, cervical spondolysis and hiatal hernia. For this I would suggest you to consult a physician.

Till that time, avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food. Take a healthy, balanced and nutritious diet consisting more of fruits, salads, soups and raw vegetables(after proper washing).Also increase the protein content in your diet instead of carbohydrates and fats. An advice from a dietician will be helpful.Also start moderate exercises on a daily basis. Start with walking and then you can shift to jogging and cardios. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|

replied October 30th, 2010
Her is a possible remedy. My wife passed away from GERD made worse from taking Prednisone. Damaged her lungs. I didn't know about this until it was too late. Hope it helps someone else.

|

replied November 2nd, 2010
Google GERD and chia seed. Many who have tried this have controlled their acid reflux for years.
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.