Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Am I Pregnant Forum

genital contact, with a chance of precum

User Profile
on the 30th June I had genital contact, with a chance of precum, I was on day 18 of my menstrual cycle, I was worried about the chance of pregnancy, i am not sure if I have my period or this is spotting, my period was 4 days late and it is lighter than usual, the blood will not show on the pad but when I wipe there is red blood with blood clots, perhaps to much for spotting, i have recently stopped being stressed after being stressed for a long while, is this why my period is different or is it spotting? I am experiencing my usual premenstrual syndroms, so I'm not sure if it is pregnancy or not?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 14th, 2014
Menstruation Answer A48287
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The lighter bleeding and delayed bleeding that you describe could suggest pregnancy possibility if you had been sexually active around ovulation time. For a regular menstrual cycle of about 28-30 days length, the usual fertile days would lie between days 8-18 of the cycle taking day 1 as first day of bleeding with ovulation occurring around 14th-16th day. If fertile mucus had been present at time of intercourse, sperms can stay alive for 5-7 days and fertilize the egg upon ovulation. After ovulation, egg has only 24-48 hours to get fertilized. If you have had a late ovulation, pregnancy could be possible. Wait and watch for your actual periods. Look out for development of any other new symptoms if pregnancy is suspected. If actual periods do not start within 10 days of expected period dates, or if you get abnormal periods, or if you suspect chances of pregnancy, consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) and blood/serum HCG level test (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately). If pregnancy gets ruled out, and if you are not ready for pregnancy, but intend to remain sexually active, you should consider visiting your gynecologist to get started on suitable regular birth control measures to be protected (after your periods). Be regular with birth control use as instructed. Avoid having unprotected sexual contact. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Am I Pregnant , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.