Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Genetic Disorders Forum

Genetic disorder? Relatives over 7' tall?

Two of my sons are very tall, over six feet two inches, and are extremely skinny. My uncle and father were the same only both were over seven feet tall and way too skinny also. I wonder if this is a genetic disorder and can there be any other health problems I should be concerned about other than the problems they already have? Neither of my sons stand completely straight when they try and my youngest son cannot straighten his knees at all. Both of my sons arms and legs are way longer than their torso. One's mouth cannot handle all his teeth. Both are in poor health. Is there something that can be done? Please help my sons!
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 22nd, 2011
Community Volunteer
Do your sons exhibit any of these problems as well?
-sunken in chest(funnel chest) or a chest that sticks out (pigeon chest)
-flat feet
-joints that are unstable or overly flexible
-thin, narrow face
-extremely long fingers, toes, arms and legs
-overcrowded mouth and high arched palate (roof of mouth)

Now as far as your father and his brother go: Did either of them die young (under 50 years of age)?
Was the cause of their death due to aortic dissection or a tear in the aortic arch?

I believe that your children should be checked Marfan Syndrome, a genetic connective tissue disorder. I don't have Marfan Syndrome and I am not a doctor, but I do have a connective tissue disorder related to Marfan Syndrome (Ehlers-Danlos), so I do have limited knowledge on Marfan due to the work-ups performed on me.

Untreated, Marfan Syndrome can be fatal. Aortic tears and dissections are one of the results of having Marfan Syndrome. Not everyone with Marfan Syndrome gets an aortic tear/dissection, but regular heart monitoring MUST be done to ensure that any signs of a potential tear/dissection can be caught early.

I advise you to take your sons to the family doctor if they have most of the signs of Marfan Syndrome. Your family doctor will be able to refer you to a geneticist who can perform the necessary genetic screening to detect the genes for Marfan Syndrome.

Best of luck to you and your children and I hope I have helped in some way.

For more information on Marfan Syndrome, please visit this site:
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply