Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

General weakness, 30 yo difficult to walk reasonable...

I'm a 30 year old women who is generally fit and well. I've noticed over the last few weeks however that, when trying to do everyday tasks my arms and legs get extremely tired and painful, almost like when you've over-exercised and they begin to burn. It is kind of difficult to describe though.

Although I'm not an athlete by any standards I'm reasonably fit but I've noticed that I'm finding it difficult to walk reasonable distances without my legs becoming really heavy and painful to move, as though I have just finished a run, and I can't lift and carry things like I could before without having to rest as my arms start to shake, unable to hold the item, and my muscles being to burn. Other everyday tasks, such as drying my hair with a light hairdrier for a few minutes or ironing have become impossible to do without resting half way through.

I'm okay in myself and don't feel unwell or anything like that, which is why this is a bit strange. I have, over the last 24 hours, started to experience a sharp muscle spasm-type pain in the inside of the top of my left arm which comes on when I'm resting but otherwise I'm fine.

I'm mid-way through a review of medication for chronic sinusitis and have had my nasal steroid changed but these symptoms aren't listed as a side effect. Otherwise I'm not taking any medication that might cause this. Is it worth seeing if this is some type of viral infection that otherwise does not make me feel unwell and sitting it out for a bit? It's hard to explain so I doubt, given that it has only been a couple of weeks, that my doc will take it seriously as yet so I don't want to take an appointment unnecessarily at the moment.

Thanks for your help.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2013
Especially eHealthy
Lizziboo,

It is not uncommon to have the symptoms you describe during and right after a viral illness. The illness can sap your reserves, and as such, activities which you could do easily before, are more difficult now.

You might want to see how things go once you have finished your sinus medication and the illness is cleared up. It will take some time to get back to your usual level of activity. You actually decondition a lot faster than you condition. This is why it is so much more difficult to get into shape, than to get out of it.

But, if you start to get worse, or you do not get better after the illness in gone, do not hesitate to see your physician.

Good luck.

Wishing you the best in the new year.
|

replied January 27th, 2013
Thank you Gaelic. I'm still having issues but I'll give it some more time. Thanks for the advice x
|

replied February 1st, 2013
Lizziboo
I am wondering if you were given a Fluoroguinolone antibiotic like Avelox , Levaquin, Cipro, etc for your sinus infection? These antibiotics are notorious for causing muscle pain and weakness along with many other adverse reactions...
|
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....