User Profile
I am a 33 year old and I have been having numbness and pain in my ring and pinky finger for the past 4 months now. My PCP referred me to an orthopedist who said it was probably an irritated/compressed Ulnar nerve. He did an x-ray and said to sleep with a brace on and it will get better on its own. I got a brace and started sleeping with it, but it did not get better.

The numbness started to spread to my forearm, so my PCP suggested I see a neurologist who said there is nothing they can really do and it should go away on its own. I got a referral to see a physical therapist but the discomfort is severe and I don't know what to do next. NSAIDS don't help it, neither does heat, ice, or stretching/flossing and I have made ergonomic changes.

I called the orthopedist and he said just brace it and it will go away, even though it feels worse. I don't want surgery if I can help it but I need advice for how to treat it or advice for finding a doctor who can help.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2019
General Q and A Answer A64882
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
I would suggest you to have nerve conduction studies to sort it out. Start pregabalin or amitriptyline to combat these symptoms.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.