User Profile
Hi
I am 33 years old. 75 Kg. I have got an ongoing cough with wheezing for the last 2 and half years. Numerous tests have been done by the N&N hospital including lung function test, spirometry, nitric acid test on breath, x-ray, CT scan of my thorux. My GP suspect i have got asthma. I am on seretide accuhaler 250 now together with montelucast 10 mg, and fexofenadine 180 mg. I also tried Clenil 200, and Flutiform 125. I took mometasone spray for my nose for a long time. I have got the sinus surgery done recently in suspicion of post nasal drip due to chronic sinusitis. All the imaging of my lung do not show any sign of infection or cancer. However I am still coughing and bring up good amount of phlegm. My chest is very noisy as it is congested all the time. I check my peak flow regularly. It is around 650 most of the time. I tried the Salbutamol inhaler for the last 5 days on continuous basis, In every four hours in attempt to clear up my chest. It did not cleared the congestion and i am still wheezing. I have irregular heart beat, but it do not cause any problem. I do not feel breathless and I can carry on my everyday work with no problem. When i take deep breath, I have this sensation in my lungs which feels like I have got infection or cold. I cough intensely right after any meal. I dont have any other medical problems. when i cough i don't feel pain in my chest. I can eat normally. I need help with this cough and chest congestion.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied January 4th, 2019
General Q and A Answer A64722
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Your symptoms and history is suggestive of Laryngopharyngeal reflux.

Laryngopharyngeal reflux, or LPR, is the backflow of stomach contents up the esophagus and into the respiratory tract.

The damage caused by the acid contents results in a diffusely inflammed larynx secondary to LPR.

Symptoms caused by refluxed stomach contents are numerous and include hoarseness, cough, and chronic throat clearing.

Current Treatment for LPR includes any combination of behavioral modification, pharmacotherapy (medications), and surgery.

Behavior modification includes weight reduction, avoidance of food high in fat and caffeine and elevation of the head of the bed.

Medications for this condition include proton pump inhibitors to reduce the acid secretion , antacids to neutralize the acids and other supportive medications to relieve the symptoms.

It would be recommended that you consult your doctor or a gastroenterologist and seek a proper medical advice.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.