User Profile
I am curious as to what medical professionals use to stop bleeding. I am not talking about a wrap or cloth to put on an open wound. I want to know if there is a liquid of some kind that they use to stop bleeding.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 17th, 2018
General Q and A Answer A64657
Welcome to e health forum.

In most cases the need to use medications to stop bleeding depends on the type and severity of injury and location of bleed.

In most cases of skin cuts, injuries on limbs etc where , the major blood vessels are not involved, direct pressure on the site of injury for 5 -10 mins can help stop bleeding.

In case of bleeding disorders or excessive internal bleeding within the body (eg gastrointestinal bleeding, uterine bleeding disorders,etc). Medications like Tranexa or Amino caproic acid ( antifibrinolytic agents ) are used systemically.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.