User Profile

I have a lump on the left side of my rib cage about 4cm long and 3cm wide, It is hard and moves under the skin when you touch it. Touching it hurts quite badly, it is so tender and feels bruised almost. I first noticed this lump after a bad fall wake boarding and the pain has never really gone away, this was about 2 years ago. I have had x rays and an ultrasound to date, where they said the rib looked bowed/bent. Another doctor said it was most likely a dislocated bit of cartilage, my question is - does this sound the likely cause and is there any way of fixing it? They have tried me on daily painkillers but this hasn’t really worked, I work within the sports industry and I am doing a watersports degree so I am constantly irritating it! You can see the outline of it through my skin, the pain ranges from sharp stabbing pains to achy pressure depending on what I’ve done in the day... I have another appointment soon but nothing seems hopeful anymore!

Thank you for your help :)

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2018
General Q and A Answer A64575
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

You describe the area where the painful lump is present but no image of the area is uploaded. Possibility of a lump that is infected such as a cyst or a boil is present The mask would be deep seated and be impinging on the nerve that supplies the area/rib an x-ray chest and subsequently a CT scan if required can be advised. If the mass is a soft tissue then an MRI can be considered in consultation with your doctor

wishing you best of health


Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Skin Health
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.