Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I had a few drinks less than a month ago, the day after i had a terrible hangover, i spent the whole day throwing up, not eating or drinking anything. A few days later i started having light abdominal cramps that lasted ever since, i visited a doctor, she checked me up and gave me a medications which i've been taking since a week but the pain doesn't seem to go away. Please help.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied July 13th, 2018
General Q and A Answer A64169
Hello and welcome to EHF,

I appreciate your concern,

To me this seems to be gastritis,inflammation of the stomach lining.
Alcohol irritates the lining of the whole digestive tract,even the slightest amount of alcohol can increase the amount of acid your stomach produce.The increased acidity can in turn erode the stomach wall and there begins the formation of an ulcer from that initial erosion, which can cause abdominal pain,vomiting,diarrhoea and even bleeding in some cases.

You can use drugs to relieve the pain,decrease acid production,help the already caused damage to heal and to neutralise the existing stomach acid to avoid further damage.
Avoid alcohol,spicy,hot,acidic foods.
Take milk,bananas and food that is rich in fibre.
Avoid NSAID as pain killera,you can use Tylenol instead as it's stomach friendly.
You can use pepto bismol,pepcid or zantac ,prevacid etc to control the acidity in your stomach.

I hope this is helpful,

Wishing you the best of health.

Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Ulcer
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.