Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

General Q and A Question

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I have a large hard knot beneath the skin of my left cheek, approx. 1 in. from the corner of my lips. I've gone to an NP, who diagnosed it as an abscess; prescribed antibiotics are CLINDAMYCIN % (a substitute for BACTRIM) Swelling started April 6th. The next day is when I visited the NP. The following day, I went to an ER due to more aggressive facial swelling. The DR there gave me a CAT scan & diagnosed the swelling as Periorbital Cellulitis, due to dental decay. (at this point, I had explained to the DR that none of my teeth were bothering me in any way.) Most of the swelling has come and gone, but I still have the hard knot that remains. What could be causing this knot, will it go away, what can I do?

Notes from CAT Scans
significant left periorbital & left facial soft tissue swelling & stranding of subcutaneous fat
no discrete abscess is identified.
Impression: pansinusitis predominantly involving the right paranasal sinuses.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 22nd, 2017
General Q and A Answer A60926
The knot in question is most likely a infected lymph node, which may have some degree of scarring associated with it.

The cause is severe head and neck infections as noted in your history.

If most of the swelling and symptoms are subsided, then it is more likely that the lump in question would subside in due time.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.