Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

General Q and A Question

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
Hi, I am a sixteen year old who plays lacrosse. Last year exactly one year ago I sprained both ankles at a tournament. I was incredibly determined to impress my highschool coach though, so I sucked it up took some Advil and kept playing through it. I got X-Rayed and it came back clean. It got to the point where I was limping from class to class for weeks because it hurt to walk. I woke up in the middle of the night crying because of how bad my legs hurt. Please note that the pain has spread to the inner calves of both legs, from ankle to a few inches below the knee. I was told to go to physical therapy, so I did. It helped in getting swelling down but not the pain. I have stopped going to physical therapy about 8 month so ago. Whenever I ran, I always wore ankle braces to reduce the pain. I took a long break for about a month, yet still the pain is still there when I run. It has come to the point where my everyday life is being compromised by the pain. RICE seems to be only doing so much (Also it is not growing pains OR shin splints) Thank you!!!!!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2017
General Q and A Answer A60271
Welcome to e health forum.

Based on your history, it is possible that you may have a severe degree of muscle sprain and possible tears of the musculoskeletal structures.

If the pain is severe and it affects your daily routine activities, then it would be recommended to consult a orthopedic doctor who can examine you and provide a valid opinion.

The need to do a MRI scan or surgical options for the treatment of the condition will depend on the clinical examination.

Hence as advised please see a orthopedic doctor at the earliest and seek proper medical care.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.