Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

gastric bypass with crohn's

Has anyone ever had it done?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2008
Supporter
Check with your doctor but I don't think you are eligible for a gastric by-pass if you have Chron's. With Chron's you have an absorption problem and the by=pass would make it worse. Most people with Chron's have to eat the BRAT diet: bananas, rice, appplesauce and toast.
|

replied August 4th, 2011
Weight Loss Surgery and Crohns
that may or may not be true. I have recently been diagnosed with Crohn's but I believe I had Crohn's BEFORE I had the bypass. The stress of dealing with Crohn's is overwhelming but the stress of weighing 450 at 5 foot 4 is a whole lot worse. If I knew that I had Crohns and that I had these problems I still would have had the surgery. the pain from having an peri anal abscess drained was far worse than the pain from bariatric surgery
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Crohn's Disease is a chronic disorder that affects digestion. But what is Crohns and how does it affect the body?...
What causes Crohn's disease? Does it run in families (yes)? And how can YOU avoid the risk factors of Crohn's?...
Can you identify symptoms of Crohn's Disease? Learn more about the range of symptoms from mild to severe in this section on Crohn's symptoms here. ...