User Profile
I am a healthy 27year old who developed asthma (likely allergen) 9 months ago and is well controlled with inhalers. For the last few months, especially in the evenings, I have frequent involuntary short secessive gasping episodes exactly like when you've been crying too much and can't get enough air in. This isn't distressing, i never feel short of breath and I've not been crying/upset. It's just become a normal part of life. Is this related to my asthma or something completely different??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2009
Experienced User
Hi Hannah,

That's a good question. Asthma symptoms can be triggered by emotional anxiety. So, consult your allergist/immunologist to learn about maintaining proper allergy and asthma control when you do get upset ... because crying is a part of life, too!
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2009
I think you misunderstood. I haven't been crying or upset. I just used crying to describe the symptom I have. I also have no asthma symptoms with this so I'm not even sure this is related to asthma?
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2009
Experienced User
You're right. I did not read your question correctly. So, as you inhale, the breath is short and shallow and rapid and successive?

I have a feeling that it might be related to anxiety. You might try to practice deep breathing, where you use the diaphragm to push air out, exhaling until you can't exhale any more ... and then exhale for 3 MORE counts...and then fill up with air from the pelvic floor to the abdomen to the chest to the shoulder. try this 5 times straight multiple times a day. Or, if the symptoms continue, I'd suggest that you get yourself on tape so that you can show a doctor...they want to understand symptoms so it's really great if you can present the hard evidence. I'd first see a family doctor and then ask for a referral to a pulmonologist, if necessary.
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2009
It does sound like anxiety, by any chance do you feel this prior to eating a meal or not eating for a couple of hours?

Many people also feel anxious about the potential of feeling anxious, strange to describe but if you think something is going to happen at a particular time of the day you could be mentally bringing it on.

Do you feel stressed or have allot on your mind? have a stressful job and or busy life style, have little sleep, spend allot of time on a computer?
|
Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....