27 year old female. Only meds is NuvaRing. No medical history but migraines (over a year since last one). Active, recently began training for marathon.
Approximately 5 weeks ago I started to have SOB. Like gasping for air and not being able to take deep breaths. Mild chest pressure/tightness. Next day I went to a doctor and got a Z-pack, medrol dose pack, and albuterol inhaler. O2 stats are normal. 3 days later, no improvement, and worsening. Went to another PCP, had EKG with no significant findings. Next day had a CXR, pulmonary CTA, cbc/bmp/thyroid labs, and echo. (Radiologist is known to be a poor one). Labs normal. 3 weeks later, PCP office called stating I had borderline RVH on echo. Went to a cardiologist that day, redid the echo and stated normal. Wore a holter monitor the next day for 24 hours (no results yet, but assuming normal since I never got a call). I have a stress test scheduled for next week. However, it is worsening. I am no longer able to lie on my back. Walking down the hall (100 ft) causes me to stop, bend over and lean my shoulders in to get a gasp of air. It’s a constant feeling of someone sitting on my chest now. It feels like bra is too tight at times due to pressure and catch myself pulling it off chest. I do not snore, I never have. By the end of the day, I am exhausted. I gave up caffeine for two days, no difference. I called off a day of work to relax (stressful job but nothing new to make it more stressful than years ago), but no change. Running out of ideas…
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 16th, 2012
I have the same symptoms for the last two days. I had the same symptoms last year in July, and I was told that I was too stressed out and it caused anxiety. That's what I was told by my doctor.I didn't have any meds prescribed. It went away on its own in a week. Because of the shortness of breath, I also felt lightheaded and dizzy. You need to remove the cause- stress (if it is anxiety), it is hard though. Some things, like stressful job, are not that easy to change. Hope you feel better soon.
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2012
I have symptoms that cause me to have shortness of breath too. I had a upper endoscopy last year of May. I was told that I have an "Hiata Hernia". Now days when I am stress I easily have shortness of breath. I also can't intake anything spicy or mint food or fluid. I just do research on my symptoms to see what is going on. This shortness of breath comes and go when I have a little too much to eat. I feel better after I burp. Sometimes I try to burp and little amount of food would back up so I know it's gotta be GERD that's involve in this. I feel miserable and just hope it ain't heart attack.
|

replied August 2nd, 2012
I'm getting over a cough, the worst one I've ever had. Nothing would help my coughing and sometimes I would wake up coughing and gasping for air. Now I am better but as of yesterday I have a weird pain on my right side of chest. It feels like something is pressing on it and everything makes it hurt. (the safety belt, my bra, when I move, cough, and when I breathe in deep, especially while standing up. Could it be soreness from the cough? I've felt my breast and there are no obvious bumps or anything like that. Any suggestions before I go to the doctor?
|

replied August 2nd, 2012
I'm getting over a cough, the worst one I've ever had. Nothing would help my coughing and sometimes I would wake up coughing and gasping for air. Now I am better but as of yesterday I have a weird pain on my right side of chest. It feels like something is pressing on it and everything makes it hurt. (the safety belt, my bra, when I move, cough, and when I breathe in deep, especially while standing up. Could it be soreness from the cough? I've felt my breast and there are no obvious bumps or anything like that. Any suggestions before I go to the doctor?
|
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....