User Profile
i have a gas in my back, i want to know what i can do for this.


Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 21st, 2009
General Q and A Answer A8615
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.

You have a complaint of gas in the back which is commonly a feature of indigestion with dyspepsia-like symptoms of upper abdominal discomfort and gas in the chest or back. Other symptoms may be postprandial fullness, bloating, belching and early satiety.

Various causes include functional dyspepsia, GERD(gastroesophageal reflux disease), ulcer disease due to gastric infection with H.pylori or use of NSAIDs, biliary colic due to gall bladder disease, intestinal lactase deficiency, other carbohydrate intolerance syndromes, gastroesophageal malignancy, heart disease etc.

An upper endoscopy is performed as the initial diagnostic test in patients with unexplained dyspepsia who are >45 years old, have alarm factors, or are on NSAIDs because of increased risk of malignancy and ulcer in these groups.

Once this is ruled out, general lifestyle changes like low fat diet, avoidance of snacks before bedtime, and elevation of the head end of the bed may be helpful. However as most indigestion and gas like feeling is caused by GERD or functional dyspepsia, medications that reduce gastric acid secretion and stimulate motility may be initiated in consultation with your physician
Hope this helps. Take care.

Note: This post is not to emphasise a final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is just to provide medical information and that no treatment suggested above be taken without a face-to-face consultation with a health care professional

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.