Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I am diagnosed with Gallstones and removal of the gallbladder is the only solution that docs recommended.

However one of the doc was kind enough to advice some meds for unbearble pain called - "VOREN 50mg" - It used to work well in the begining of sever attacks within a hour but now it takes sometimes 2-3 hrs to work and afterthen pain subsides... Is there any more effective pain killer for gallstones attack much effective than Voren? that i could ask my doc for next time i go, since docs are mostly interestd in surgery not in giving meds. BUt i have to take something whnever that sever attack comes, atleast its a peace of mind that i could get relif whnever i get pain.

secondly, another doc recommended "NEXUM" to take every morning empty stomach , one hour before meal. What does Nexum do exactly. If am already on low fat diet and losing weight ,then do i need nexum to take? Currently I only take nexum whnever i had to eat fatty meal, i.e, pizza burgers etc.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2010
Gallbladder Disease Answer A12536
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum. I am glad to help you out.

Nexium is a proton pump inhibitor. Proton pumps are small factories in the stomach which make the acid.

The acid helps in the digestion of food. Nexium suppresses these factories which reduces the production of this acid.

Patients with gall bladder disease commonly have indigestion & it is due to the excessive production of the acid.

In view of the recurrent attacks of acute inflammation of the gall bladder which you’re having, it makes sense to undergo the surgical removal of the gall bladder.

Otherwise, there’s always a risk of some complication like one of the gall stones can more down into the bile duct, blocking the bile duct and causing obstructive jaundice.

This can sometimes be life threatening. You will not need to take any painkillers once the surgery is done.

There’re no drugs available which can cure the problem of gall stones with acute cholecystitis which you are suffering from
presently. I sincerely hope this information helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.