Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Hello,

I am a 23-year-old male. My Gallbladder was removed 3 days ago(Tues. June 9, '09) due to Gallstones.

My surgeon never explained to me anything to expect after the operation nor anything to do with lacking a Gallbladder.

I go see my surgeon this coming Monday for a follow-up and to have the staples removed from my incisions I assume; so I'll ask questions then, also.

What I am wondering is:

1.) What should I expect with having no Gallbladder?
2.) Will I have constant diarrhea? (I've read A LOT about this from people whom have had their Gallbladder removed)
3.) If #2 is true, will it be forever? & is it caused from the bile?
4.) Will Gallbladder removal shorten ones lifespan?
5.) I've recently came across an article that claims the risk of colon cancer rises slightly to those who have had their Gallbladder removed but they insist it should have no effect on your decision to have it removed. (Effects somewhere around 119 people out of 10,000). Should I be extremely concerned about this as I am?
6.) What foods/drinks should I certainly avoid?
7.) What foods/drinks should I consume a lot of?
8.) Are there any recommended medications I should take to *help* my body because of having no Gallbladder?

Sorry for the lengthy and answer-demanding post.

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Dr. Robert Wascher
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2009
In brief, most people do just fine without a gallbladder. The bile that your liver produces, and which aids in the digestion of fat, is normally concentrated in the gallbladder. When you eat a fatty meal, the gallbladder then contracts, and squeezes this concentrated bile into the upper intestine to aid in the digestion of fat. After the gallbladder is removed, the bile just trickles into the upper intestine on a more or less continuos basis.

If people over-indulge in fatty food intake after their gallbladders have been removed, there may be insufficient bile available within the intestines to fully digest and absorb the fat, resulting in bloating, nausea, and gassy, loose stools. For the overhwelming majority of people who have gallbladder surgery, however, eating a healthy low-fat diet will prevent these symptoms.

There is no solid high-level clinical research data available that strongly links cholecystectomy (removal of the gallbladder) with a singificantly increased risk of developing colon cancer. (By the way, as I have discussed in my online column, reducing or eliminating your intake of red meat will significantly decrease your risk of developing colorectal cancer, and in your case, will also help reduce your "post-cholecystectomy syndrome" symptoms as well.)

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
I'm thirty seven and I love kids. After my having my son nineteen yrs ago.
I had to have my gallbladder removed. I haven't been able to have
Children since. My marriage ended because my husband wanted
Us to have a child together. And nothing ead wrong with him. He
Has three kids now. Doctors keep telling me nothing wrong with
Me, but yet I haven't had a child in nineteen yrs. Can this be contributed
From me having my gallbladder removed.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
I'm thirty seven and I love kids. After my having my son nineteen yrs ago.
I had to have my gallbladder removed. I haven't been able to have
Children since. My marriage ended because my husband wanted
Us to have a child together. And nothing ead wrong with him. He
Has three kids now. Doctors keep telling me nothing wrong with
Me, but yet I haven't had a child in nineteen yrs. Can this be contributed
From me having my gallbladder removed.
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
Hi!
I have also read on this forum and others that people complain of suffering from diarrhea after the surgery; However, I had mine removed on 06/06/09(it's been two weeks) and I haven't had any issue with my diet. I'm having a regular and healthy diet, no junk food or fatty foods,only whole grain, white meat, vegetables, soups and fruit and I feel perfectly fine.In my opinion, people who complain about diarrhea is because they might not be having a healthy diet.
Good Luck with your recovery.
|

replied July 16th, 2009
yes I just read all that stuff about shorter life span, heart attacks, colon cancer....it has scared the S--- out of me. I was not told of any of these things, and quite franky I am a little upset.
|

replied September 8th, 2009
Oh great! I am going to see my surgeon in the morning to talk about removing my gallbladder......
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.