I had emergency gallbladder surgery 5 years ago. I was told a had a infection as well as a golf ball size stone.i had 5 days of hospitalization. However I recovered with no issues.

Fast forward five years. I started to have pain in my abdomen. After a week went to my pcp. Over the course of 2 months I had several tests. Finally found out today I still have a gallbladder with calcification in the fundus...confirmed by a ct and hida exam. Reviewed by four different medical professionals. Not sure yet of the level of function. I see the surgeon again next week.The radiologist noted scarring on the gallbladder from some type of surgery.

I have no idea what to think. I cannot imagine why the previous surgeon would tell me it was removed. It doesn't make sense. I have been in non stop pain for two months. Some nausea initially but no other issues outside of the pain.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2014
Welcome to e health forum.

Without complete medical history it would not be able to give you specific and factual details about your issues. But a few most probable cases have been indicated.

To start with every surgeon is different, and based on the findings his choice of action would differ.

In most cases, if there is infection due to a stone, it is possible that the surgeon might have operated and removed the stone causing the problem, but have repaired the gallbladder, and not have considered removing the gallbladder due to concerns of spread of infection.

It would be best if you can consult your previous surgeon and seek the complete medical records related to the prior surgery, which might give you proper answers.

I hope this helps.
|

replied June 13th, 2014
Not really helpful due to time delay. But just as a follow up..I had the entire gallbladder removed in March. Previous surgical notes state they removed it and lab notes indicate they received it. So somebody screwed up.
|
Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.