Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Gallbladder attacks 5 years after surgery -- Please help.

I am 22 years old, female, average weight. 5 years ago I had my gallbladder removed due to it being impacted with gallstones. After surgery for years I was fine with no lingering symptoms, I also didn't experience diarrhea like other people have with this surgery.

This year in January I had a gallbladder attack that landed me in the ER. The doctor informed me that I can't be having gallbladder attacks because I don't have one, and diagnosed me with ACID REFLUX. I'm not stupid. It's not acid reflux. I never experience heartburn, and the pain I am getting feels EXACTLY like the gallbladder attacks I used to get.

Now on a regular basis I am still getting these attacks. It's worrying me very much because they don't occur when I eat fatty meals. Just now I had some baked chicken breast and vegetables that caused an attack, and last week I drank a fruit smoothie that caused one too. This doesn't make sense.

Almost always after my attacks I have a bowel movement, which isn't watery diarrhea but more the consistency of thick pudding (ewww), and is brown (no blood) and no, I don't notice any weird oily film in the water.

The only thing that brings me relief during one of my attacks is taking Bentyl liquid the ER doctor prescribed me back in January. Taking this medicine during an attack will stop it in it's tracks.

Please help me. I am too afraid to go to the doctor and submit myself to crazy tests like sticking cameras down my throat or in my rectum. I just want this to stop. If I can do anything short of seeing a doctor I will do it. I don't trust doctors Sad I can't continue on like this, having attacks for basically no reason. I can't find a specific thing causing the attacks.

If anyone can shed some light I would be most appreciative.

ALSO: The ER doctor said all my blood work was perfectly normal. I also do not smoke, drink, or take any medication or drugs.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 11th, 2011
Why hasn't anyone replied yet? Sad
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied July 19th, 2011
I can't believe someone finally replied and the post has been under review for like a week. This is the worst website I've ever been to.
|

replied July 19th, 2011
You should get an endoscopy. I had experienced severe acid reflux before having gallbladder attacks. Usually my gallbladder attacks felt like someone had punched me under my sternum. My worst, however, that sent me to the ER felt exactly like extreme acid reflux. My whole chest hurt. GI problems can mimic each other. I've also had an ulcer before that caused different types of pain. It really could be a number of issues. When I had gallbladder attacks Bentyl wouldn't touch them but it did help for severe bloating, which I have heard can get the point of being extremely painful.

I don't trust doctors either. But I've been told by many people that an endoscopy is actually a piece of cake and it can diagnose, or rule out, so many issues. If anything I would get that test done. You also may want to look up gallbladder attacks caused by allergic reactions to food. Certain foods can cause your bile duct to close up even after you've had the gallbladder removed. I think I'm allergic to coffee, eggs, pork and apples. They triggered attacks. Good luck. I hope you get it figured out.
|

replied July 20th, 2011
I don't have a gallbladder though, so I don't know how I am having attacks.

I heard there is a very high chance of getting pancreaitis if you get an endoscopy done Sad
|

replied July 20th, 2011
What I meant is that you may not be having an "attack" that has anything to do with your missing gallbladder. I just had my gallbladder removed. Afterwards I experienced some acid reflux. If I had never had it before, I would have thought that I was having another attack and been confused as well. That's my point. It could be anything from an ulcer to acid reflux. Possibly bile reflux. An endoscopy could rule out some of these issues. I would do more research on the tests you may have to go through. I was worried about an endoscopy so I asked everyone I knew about them. Those who have had them said they were much easier and quicker to have done than one would think and they had no problems with infection afterward. I didn't need one though.

You have to also take into consideration that some things like GERD or ulcers, left undiagnosed or treated, can lead to serious problems like bleeding ulcers. Acid reflux untreated can lead to Barrett's esophagus, which can cause cancer. I think it would be safer to get the tests than to keep having attacks without knowing why they are occurring. I hope it gets better for you.
|
Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....