Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

gall bladder laproscopy & appendectomy

My son has been told that he cannot have his gall bladder removed laproscopically because he had an appendectomy 10 years ago. Is this true?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2009
Not necessarily. Most of the time, after routine appendectomy through a small right lower abdominal incision, laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal) can still be performed by a skilled laparoscopic surgeon (although such patients should be advised that there may be a higher-than-average likelihood of having to convert a laparoscopic procedure to an "open" procedure).

You might want to seek a second opinion from another surgeon. (I cannot comment, specifically, on your son's case since, obviously, I have never examined him.)

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.