Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

Gaining weight uncontrollably (Page 1)

Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
Im gaining a steady .2 pounds each day for a week and a half now and Ive gained more than a pound and it wont seem to stop! Im only eating 1,400 and before I was able to maintain my weight, and now I cant make the gain stop!
please help anyone...Im really confused and I want to regain control of this situation...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Have you spoken with a doctor about this? You should not be gaining when you are eating so little.

Can you explain your diet?
|

replied August 8th, 2008
no I havent spoken to a doctor but Im trying to. I know I shouldnt and it started really weirdly. I tried upping my calories to 1,500 and was able to maintain for a good 2 or 3 days...and then the gains started....I then said that maybe since Im not doing any sort of excercise that my body wasnt ready for that amount yet....so I decided to go back down to 1,400...but I kept gaining.

Can the problem maybe be too much carbs?
I suspect that maybe Im having too much carbs....but thing is Ive had the same diet for months now and this never happened before...
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It would certainly help if you were exercising.

Try eating a little more calories, but work out for a half hour to an hour. Working out could be anything from actually going to the gym to just taking a long walk around your block a few times.
|

replied August 8th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
3500 calories is a pound. So 2 lbs per day would be 7,000 calories in a day in addition to your normal body consumption of... well, whatever that is.

How do you know how many calories you are eating?
|

replied August 8th, 2008
I count the calories I have and I measure my foods. I keep my portions pretty under control so Im pretty aware of the calories I consume.

Yeah Im going to definitely try exercising more. Im starting next week, and eat 1,700 cals when I work out for half an hour, and around 1,400-1,500 when I dont work out.

I know that Im also having issues with my period (irregular bleeding and such). So maybe its my hormones going crazy on me.

we'll see....
|

replied August 8th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Great on measuring your food. I have a food scale and I was amazed and a little horrified at what is truly a portion size. A lot of foods are incorrect (user error on my part maybe?) about how much a 'cup' of their product should weigh. Most times it is less than what a cup is. So I can totally see how people (me!) could be over their caloric intake for a day. Another thing that shocked me was keeping a truthful journal of everything I ate. I noticed I didn't eat in the morning, but way over-ate in the evenings.

You don't need to up your calories on your work out days. That would be counter productive if you are trying to lose weight. Consistency is key. If you work out hard for 1/2 an hour and burn approximately 300 calories (+/- depending on your weight, how hard you are working out, etc) - then taking in an extra 2-300 calories isn't going to put you into the calorie deficit you are wanting to achieve.

Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Oh wait, are you trying to maintain now or still lose a little?
|

replied August 8th, 2008
right now Id like to maintain, specialy since I cant stop gaining. I dont know if its metabolism problem or just hormones going crazy, so I thought that id be a good idea to up calories when i work out so i can help boost my metabolism again and also build muscle...right now what I really want to achieve is build muscle, and not have to gain any fat. Im one of those cases of "skinny fat" , where I have too much fat for my weight. I weigh so little cos my muscles are pretty much nonexistent....people at my weight and my height would definitely look way slimmer than I do right now...yea its a bit crazy but I did a body fat % test thing, and it turned out that I have too much fat on me...sucks I know.
So even if I do gain a little, I want it to be muscle. Im not sure if Ill be able to do this...but my goal is to gain a good 4 to 5 pounds of muscle.

right now my focus is stop the gains for good. hopefully exercise will aid in this Sad
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Ok, thats what I thought.

The bad part of drastically lowering your calorie intake is that it lowers your metabolism considerably. Also since you body is used to you eating far less than your maintenance level, it's going to be quick to store to prepare for the next time you start to diet-- which really sucks. You need to take steps to get your metabolism back up to where it's supposed to be.

And just to warn you, muscle gain will look like weight gain on the scale since muscle weighs more than fat. Your measurements will go down, but its likely your weight will go up at least a little.

Have you looked into weight training?
|

replied August 8th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I'll second weight training. Aerobics can help you lose weight, but weights will change the way you look.

Are you wanting to build muscle or tone what you have?
|

replied August 8th, 2008
Im looking to build muscle and also tone up a bit.

do you guys think that maybe the weight gains will stop if I have more protein and I start exercising more (cardio and muscle training)

I still have no clue why this is happening to me (the whole period going crazy and weight gaining, not to mention I think that Im also retaining water I believe because yesterday my feet got real swollen. I thought that this could be the reason for the 2 pound gain Ive had already, but there's no change in the measurements so how could this be....)

thanks for your help btw
I really appreciate it.
|

replied August 8th, 2008
oh and Im fully aware that if I gain muscle I will see a gain in the scales...I dont mind the gain in the scale as long as I either keep my measurements the same or actually lose a few inches.
|

replied August 8th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I gain/lose the same 4-5 lbs in a day. I have water retention problems, so if I'm not super careful with my sodium intake, I will retain a lot of water. Be sure to weigh yourself at the same time of day - weekly. I choose mornings on Friday because that is when I'm the 'lightest'. Wink

There is some debate over whether you can build muscle at the same time you are losing weight. Meaning, you have to eat to gain muscle and to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit.

You will notice a difference if you keep your measurements. The scale isn't the true measurement of health and wellness, it is how we feel and the inches dropped. A friend of mine weighs 145 lbs and wears a size 2. It hardly seems possible - but she is all lean muscle mass. She looks fantastic and feels great about herself. Even her doctor is shocked she weighs 'so much' and is so small. Her choice is to be as fit as she can be and not worry about the scale. I try to follow that line of thought but the scale is a hard habit to break!
|

replied August 8th, 2008
I know...Im a slave to my scale and I really hate that. I wish I could just throw it away but I simply cant!
I know I shouldnt weigh myself every day but even if I were to weight myself once a week, the gain Ive had so far I would've noticed it for sure. I mean I gained 2 pounds already, in a period of 10 days, and that is completely possible...and Im starting to think that Ive gained the weight on my back! because Im looking at a love handle that wasnt there before ...ugh

anyway..Im gonna try the whole exercising thing and adding proteins, and hopefully that will stop my gains....well...temporarily that is cos I do aim to weigh more (to me 5 pounds of muscle is a lot! because Im the typical girl who even when doing sports for years, never had too much muscle)

I hope this works.
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
You should figure out how many calories you're burning in a day. A healthy calorie amount is 500-1000 less calories than what you're burning. If you want to maintain, aim for about the same amount (obviously).

If you're gaining weight, either you're eating too many calories (or not burning enough) or you have some other medical problem. If you can't rule out the calorie thing, get yourself to a doctor.

Since you mentioned irregular period, do you have a history of pcos at all? That can cause weight gain. Or a thyroid problem, or a ton of other things.

Also, it's normal to weigh a pound or two more during your period, due to water retention.
|

replied August 8th, 2008
Yeah, Im sure this has to do with something else other than metabolism issues, because I was maintaing at this amount and even on more (1,500) for some days...I just started gaining suddenly. My gyn said to me that I do have some cysts that she considered to be insignificant but could be a mild case of pcos...I didnt have any other signs, and the gain in weight hasnt been drastic so Im doubting the whole pcos thing but who knows....
Im afraid it has to do with hormones or something like it or maybe pcos after all...

hopefully this will settle down soon, or Im gonna lose it :/
|

replied August 8th, 2008
oh and also my period was weird last month (just light brown spotting for 4 days) and two weeks later (exactly two weeks later) I had some brown discharge again with some blood the next day and even today a little bit.

so this is definitely something that comes along the weight gain issue, Im sure...
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Have you been stressed lately?
|

replied August 8th, 2008
well by the time my period was supposed to come no...but since ive been gaining without control, a bit yes.
|
Tags: weight, loss
Quick Reply