Medical Questions > Nutrition > Diets and Diet Plans Forum

Gaining weight in healthy way ?

Hey everyone. I am trying to gain some weight, but healthily. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 30th, 2009
I'm not an expert, but I can tell you what I know.

In short, you want to try to burn fat while gaining lean muscle mass.

Burning fat is about a healthy, balanced diet and aerobic exercise. At least 30 minutes a day of fat-burning exercise. To maximize your fat burning, you want to make sure the exercise is neither too strenous nor too easy. Something like jogging or stationary bike.

To gain lean muscle, you want to start doing weight training. Get with a personal trainer (free at many gyms). They can design a good routine for you.

Finally, you want to make sure you are getting as much lean protein as possible. This is important for building muscle mass. You want a lot of lean meats like grilled fish and chicken, or egg ehites.

Diet is the most difficult part. If you aren't getting enough lean protien, you will not see gains in muscle. I think the rule of thumb is something like 1 gram of protien per pound of body weight. This is why you see people drinking protien shakes. It can be difficult to get enough protien in a day through your regular meals.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....