Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Gained 10 lbs , gardener , 53 years old

User Profile
I gained 10 lbs in 1 week. I havent changed my eating eating habits and I am a gardener so I exercise daily. I feel tired now. My stomach is hard and swollen and I am 53 yrs old and still menstruate. But my stomach is feeling achy now and I am getting constipated. Should I worry? I am. I want to know if I should be worried about this?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2010
Abdominal Pain Answer A16287
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Common causes like overeating, lack of exercise (not in your case), diabetes, hypothyroidism have to be ruled out in your case. You must then look for other causes. One is water retention due to low serum protein. This along with anemia can cause unexplained weight gain.

Adrenal gland problems are the other cause. Cushing’s syndrome should be looked for. The kidney function too should be assessed. Late night snacking and poor sleep too can cause weight gain. Polycystic ovary too causes weight gain, hence has to be ruled out by an ultrasound of abdomen. Certain medications like antidepressants cause weight gain.

At your age it can also be hormonal imbalance of FSH, LH, estrogen, progesterone. Hence get this evaluated. Please consult your doctor and get this evaluated. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.