Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Furunculus and its causes

User Profile
hi. I had a bump on my groin hair area about a year ago, when i went to the doctor because i had to pee alot; but i did not tell him about the bump and I had a fool blood test done in the lab, i waited in hour and the doctor said i was healty,the reason i did not tell him about the bump was because, i thought it was just like the bumps i get under my arm pits some times(ingroin hair or boil) because i only had sex with one partner and that was a year before i got that bump which most of them seem to come from under the skin.but now a year after i started getting these swells im still botherd by them like every 2 weeks
the biggest one ive had has been on my butt cheek(which was realy big)

so my question is, does that hour lab test in the hospital detect stds(they took a lot of blood and they check my urine sample) and do you have an idea of what my problem might be.( ive gotten them on my stomatch, my butt cheeck, and most in groin area).

p.s some time they leak puss, bleed.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 10th, 2008
Skin Answer A4842
Current medical status: groin bumps

Current medical treatment: none

According to your description (“skin bumps that sometimes leak pus”) you could have furuncles. Furunculus is a bacterial inflammation of the hair follicle. It is not sexually transmitted and usually can't be proved with any blood tests. Furunculus needs to be seen (inspection) to be diagnosed.

I am not sure what kind of blood tests they did on you but tests for STDs are usually not included in the standard blood testing (blood count, hemoglobin, hematocrit, sedimentation rate, lipid status, urea, creatinin, AST, ALT…).

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.