Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Fungal infection medication resistant

I am open to any advice that might ease my misery. I am a 36 year old married female. I live in a subtropical climate. Shortly after the birth of my twins (now 7), I began to get a fairly bad rash in my bikini area and under my arms. I thought this was razor burn. I thought my skin had become more sensitive, or hair thicker due to hormonal changes. Turns out I think it was jock itch ( ringworm, tineas corporis). I stopped shaving with a razor and started washing it with Betadine and it would usually go away towards the end of the summer.

I have recently and am currently having a horrible outbreak. I have treated the rash with miconazole, tolnaftate, clotrimazole 1%, oral Diflucan and of course betadine twice daily. I then got a prescription from my primary physician for Nystatin, which I used as directed. Twice a day for 2 + weeks. The rash went completely away with Nystatin - then promptly came back. I visited my doctor (gp) who agreed that it was a recurrent fungal infection and has now prescribed Lotrisone ( the generic is clotrimazole 10% + beta...something or another..a topical steriod type thing). The lotrisone cream seems to be having little or no effect...

In fact...other than the Nystatin...nothing has helped except going to a tanning bed. Duke University research has shown that these fungi don't live well in extreme light situations...so I'm assuming that is why the tanning bed helps....but it only seems to make the fungi go dormant. I want to get rid of this....I'm worried about passing it to family. DOES ANYONE have any experience with resistant fungal infections. Note: I am not diabetic, nor do I have any immune defiencency.

Please help. I wake up every 3 hours at night with itching and burning. Thanks - D.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile bastionv
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2008
Supporter
You are more likely to get a fungal infection if you have a weakened immune system or take antibiotics. Have you concentrated yet on strengthening your immune system...perhaps cut out coffee, take a multivitamin, and be sure to get enough rest at night. Have you looked into possible food allergies which might cause a depressed immune system. These types of environments are ripe for fungal infection and your best medicine might be prevention.
|

replied May 6th, 2009
Suggestions
You took oral medication for the tinea corporis for only two weeks(!), usually the oral treatment lasts 4 to 6 weeks with terbinafine (lamisil) or trisporal. It is wise to use oral medication in combination with topical med., and change your clothes/towels/bedding regularly. Terbinafine (or trisporal) has shown to be very effective against tinea providing you use it for 4-6 weeks (5-6 weeks in your case) just ask your physician about these medications, and when the symptoms disappear, keep using the medications for another week.

And please do not use the tanning bed so often, it is not good for your skin, your skin will age prematurely!

(I'm a med. graduate)
|

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2010
Experienced User
It takes a long time to treat! I suggest you switch up the anti-fungals. Use the Clotrimazole cream for a while, switch to ketoconazole cream then to Lamisil then to terbinafine and start over in that order. Speak to the doctor about herbs.. these help! I had that reaction that you get when its dieing off which made me feel weak but I knew it was working.. Herbs that are safe are coconut oil, probiotics, biotin, olive leaf extract... other herbs are collidal silver, grapefruit seed extract and etc.. I suggest you wash those areas with selsun blue. The nurse told me that.. Eat lots of garlic.. All of these have anti-fungal, anti-yeast and anti-bacterial properties..Oral meds are Ketoconazol and lamisil.. If you are itching.. use a steroid cream seprately so you can figure out when you need it.. keep using these for a while even if you feel better...it could take a year of holistic treatment but discuss all this with your dr..Let me know if you have any progress! Switch everything up.. yes, there is a major resistant issue!
|

replied November 13th, 2011
I am having the same problem. I got the rash after shaving my bikini area and have had it for 6 months now.I've been through several doctors and not one has come up with a solution. I've been told it's a bacterial infection (although skin scraping tests looked at in the lab have all confirmed that it isn't)and have been put on keflex, cipro, clindamycin, and combinations of the three (all are antibiotics). In addition, they've put me on Nystatin (which does nothing), ketoconazole, oral and cream at the same time, Silver Sulfadiazine in combination with tetracycline (oral), and Diflucan. Now I'm on Naftin cream, which I started a few days ago, and have broken out all over so I've had to stop taking it. I am waiting on the results of the biopsy that was done recently (I have stitches from the biopsy...never thought a rash could cause so much harm), and on the DNA tests they did on the rash to determine how to cure it (which frankly should have been done long ago...a half a yr is a long time to deal with this). I also have no immune deficiency issues. I have been told to abstain from sex (my bf and I have gone without for 6 months now)and to not even allow anyone to sleep in the same bed with me. My self-esteem is at rock-bottom and I feel like a freak....and all because I shaved my bikini area.
|

replied July 5th, 2012
resistant fungal rash - any answers? please?
I have had the same rash for over 7 months now and its all over my back, bikini area, down my shins and under my bust! I am at my wits end! I have tried all the usual anti fungal creams, taken fluconazole which was useless and have been on sporanox (Itraconazole) for 3 months but nothing is working and the rash is spreading all over my back now. Tea tree oil mixed with a little olive oil is great for relieving the itch. I just want to tell people not to use a steroid on fungal rashes as it feeds it and makes it spread into the hair follicles which is not good. If anyone has a cure please please help me as I'm feeling suicidal with this now!
|

User Profile
replied February 22nd, 2013
I have had scalp sever itching,the hair pull off and the scalp skin died and sticks whitish things on it.
it has lasted for about 7 year and i have taken rx anti- fungal drug like,grisofulvin po, ketokonazole shampoo and po fluknazole po,clotrimazole cream,dezor shampoo, white field cream and other creams but no any improvment additionally i have had sever deppression, suicide ideation and hopelessness please suggest any alternative rx or if it has surgical rx or advice
thanks !!!!!
|

replied November 26th, 2015
hello all, i have been dealing with a torturous rash now for 9 months, that i've finally figured out is fungal-related. just wanted to share that washing with hibiclens (which contains 4% chlorhexidine gluconate, which is antifungal as well as antibacterial) - has been the most helpful thing i've tried. i'm on oral antifungals as well, but the hibiclens has been the best. i know what a torture it is, best of luck to you. also - calmoseptine ointment is great for the itching because it helps but doesn't moisturize really (which would just make it worse if it did.)
|

replied December 1st, 2015
Active User, very eHealthy
Bastionv's tips seem most helpful here.
|

replied July 13th, 2016
I have been fighting fungal issues for decades, everything from athlete's foot to toenail fungus and more. I have tried many prescription and otc medicines for these issues with varying degrees of success. I finally found the answer to these problems and it costs nothing and is available.... it is your own urine. Contrary to popular belief, it does not stink when fresh and evaporates soon after applying topically. Try applying it for a week and you will see what I'm talking about.
|

replied January 30th, 2017
Make sure your partner is treated. My infection originally came from my partner, and until he was treated, my condition wouldn't improve.

Clean your clothes, towels, linens in hot water with a fungicide like bleach, tea tree, borax. The spores can live in fabric for months.
|
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....