Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Full hysterectomy , abnormal cells

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
User Profile
abnormal cells still present after a full hysterectomy, have been told in the trunk of the minnie why is this happening when i have also had a cone op previously to the scared as i have been told this is uncommon?and i may have to have lazer /or chemo.i dont want to keep waiting goin through mental anguise i just wont them to do what they have to to sort this out.why is this still happening.
thank you so much

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2010
Hysterectomy Answer A14406
Welcome to the forum. I am really glad to help you out. Given your history and the history of atypical PAP smear, I suggest you to get a further evaluation done. We call a PAP smear atypical when cells on the surface of the cervix sometimes appear abnormal but are very rarely cancerous. Sometimes these cellular changes are caused by low estrogen count in women who approach menopause and hence we prescribe estrogen creams because applying an estrogen cream to the cervix for a few weeks can usually help to clarify the cause of the cell changes.

Then a repeat PAP smear is done and if still found atypical, colposcopy using an instrument much like a microscope (called a colposcope) to examine the vagina and the cervix is done and biopsy samples taken which are examined under the microscope. Biopsy is the removal of cells or tissues from the abnormal area for examination under a microscope. If the testing shows abnormal cells that have a high chance of becoming cancer, further treatment is needed. Without treatment, these cells may turn into invasive cancer. Hence you need to get a repeat PAP Smear done as suggested by your doctors. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hysterectomy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.