My fiance got frostbite on his heels and toes in January. He has gone to doctors who have done nerve testing & a bone scan. All results were normal, with the exception of one doctor who said he has mild Peripheral neuropathy but released him saying it was normal. His toes seem fine now but his heels are what worry me. He is still in pain, his feet tingle, they itch constantly, they burn, if I try to touch them to look at them he says it feels as if I am stabbing him with an ice pick, they are oozing some type of liquid that smells terribly...he will put on clean socks when he wakes up and after he showers but in a matter of hours they are a yellowish brown color, his skin is white/red and now is turning brown in places. All of this was brushed off as a fungal infection which was said to NOT be related to his injury of (diagnosed) frostbite and he was told to get OTC Fungal Cream. What is going on? Please help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2014
Thank you for asking

Frost bites does that. it has led to infections of the heel , good thing is any serious injury due to frost bite is spared. Just take good care of the wound and eat healthy and proteinaceous diet for the relief. Elevate the leg as longer as possible.

Also make sure he gets examined and if need be cultured for the wound as it may complicate. healing time is slow in peripheral extremities.

Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Foot Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.