Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

frontal sinusitis on left side - drainage?

I've had terrible sinus problems for 2+ years, and finally saw an ENT last week. He ordered a CT scan and found localized frontal sinusitis on my left side. I'm now on augmentin 850mg for 3 weeks, along with Flonase. I have absolutely no drainage - what are the signs it's learning up? I've still had terrible headaches, fatigue and pressure. He said its one of the worst cases he's seen in this location, especially that localized. Anyone have more info on why frontal sinusitis is rare?

I've tried neti pots and sinus flushed, but none seem to work. Would a runny nose be a good sign because it's draining? I'm desperate. TIA
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 24th, 2012
blndenell,

I'm in the same boat as you. I had a terrible sinus infection more than two years ago. Since then, I have never been able to kick my infection. I have headaches for days above my right eyebrow with sensitivity to the touch. When I breath in some times I get these drips of nasty infectious mucus/snot that I can taste and smell. My girlfriend smells it all the time. I was on Cefdinir 300mg for two weeks along with nasal spray steroid. This did not help. Has anyone had this and cured it? I would love to know.
|

replied April 25th, 2012
Mine seems to have gotten better. I use the nose spray still, but my doctor wanted to wait 3 weeks to order another MRI to make sure it's cleared up. I started cycling, and that seemed to help (no idea why). I would literally just go home and go straight to bed before, since I was so tired. I also still take zyrtec. I never found a sinus flush that would work. I did find a how to on sinus headache massage for the frontal sinuses, and that seems to really relieve pressure when I would have a headache. Hope you get better soon!
|

replied April 25th, 2012
Oh, and my ENT also said it would drain into my throat.
|

replied April 26th, 2012
It is unusual for an isolated frontal sinusitis to occur. When it does, it can be a result of previous surgery having caused scarring of the frontal sinus drainage pathway. This can lead to the creation of a 'mucocoele'.

It may even arise due to unusual anatomy within the frontal recess/sinus.

If it doesn't settle down quickly, I suspect a surgical procedure would be required to drain it.

Persisiting isolated opacification within any sinus warrants careful assessment, including surgical exploration if necessary to rule out any growths in the sinus.

Smile
|

replied April 26th, 2012
I have yet to have sinus surgery, and he said my CT looked like everything anatomically looked okay. Why else would this occur? It seems to be worse today.
|

replied April 26th, 2012
I have yet to have sinus surgery, and he said my CT looked like everything anatomically was okay. Why else would this occur? It seems to be worse today.
|

replied April 26th, 2012
It's difficult to say without seeing the scan.

If it is persisting, I would want to explore the sinus and make sure it was drained.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....