Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Friend told me she has Bulimia

User Profile
I have this amazing friend who I've only known for about a year if that. She's always really happy and always see's the bright side to everything. We're really close friends. She seems to be surrounded by people that she loves and that love her. She's on the same course as me at college which means we see each other every Wednesday. She's been going through some relationship problems with her boyfriend/ex-boyfriend. Whenever I asked her what had happened she just said "Its complicated". But last Wednesday she told me that she had Bulimia. She said that she told her bf/ex-bf that she thinks they should break-up for a while. He already knew about the Bulimia and she made him promise not to tell anyone but he told this girl who she really dosn't like and she got really upset. She told me that College is the only place she feels she can eat and be ok because she feels safe there. She's not fat at all. She's very small (4ft 9) and very light. She told me that whenever she tries to eat it just comes back up again, the same goes for if she drinks too much water. But I have a problem aswell. I've started to realise that I'm falling in love with her. But on msn she said that she's ok with her bf/ex-bf now and is thinking about getting back together with him. I don't want to put her in an even worse situation but I feel like I should tell her how I feel. I want to be there for her and I worry about her so much :'( If anybody has any advice on how I can help her through this or if I should tell her how I feel then please reply to this. I don't know what to do and it tears me up inside :'( I send her a text message every day and tell her something new each time. Last time I said "In a sky of darkness you are my one shining star". I was hoping this would help her feel loved. Please help me :'( (By the way we are both 15)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2010
Please can somebody help me!!
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2010
Friends may be better
Hi there,
I'm sorry I don't have much time to write, but I think maybe you should not tell her how you feel -- at least for a little while. She obviously feels safe with you, and I worry that you might risk the friendship if you say anything. If she is emotionally vulnerable and unstable (which usually comes with bulimia) she may react disproportionately which may leave you both upset. I only know from my own experiences, but when you have an ED you don't have time for a 'real' relationship -- the ED IS your relationship. I reckon if you can be a lovely and supportive friend -- at least for now -- that will be better for her. And hopefully better for your friendship in the long run. I just know that when you have Ana or Bulimia you don't really have time to think about anything else much...

Sorry if this is not that helpful. Good luck.
P.S. are you a girl or a guy?
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2010
RE: Friends may be better
I'm a guy she's a girl.
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....