Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

friend swears I have multiple personalities. is it rational?

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
User Profile
I think I need to be institutizonalized. I am 14 years of age, female, and I live in Ontario Canada. I have been through severe bullying (broken bones, beaten with crowbar, etc.) and I feel nervous when talking to people I do not know or do not know well. I keep a journal of my thoughts, and re-reading it I realized how it sounds. I think I am depressed, and have anger issues and perhaps schizophrenia or something similar. I act very strange, and my friend swears I have multiple personalities. She has helped me give them names. Asha, Leigh, Zoe, Morgan and Eun. This, I feel, is not normal. I want help, but my mother refuses to believe I need it. I suppose she is embarrassed of me, and does not want this to go public. Does this sound rational? What can I do?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2011
Mental Conditions Answer A28069

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. The two most common causes for your symptoms can be schizophrenia and mania. Schizophrenia is also called split personality and in this there are abnormalities in the perception or expression of reality. The cause is increased dopamine activity in the mesolimbic pathway of the brain. Treatment consists of antipsychotic medicines, cognitive behavior therapy and psychotherapy.

Mania is usually associated with bipolar disease and hallucinations are an important aspect. Treatment usually consists of the mood stabilizing drug-lithium, anticonvulsants, antipsychotic drugs and benzodiazepines.

My sincere advice would be to get it evaluated from a psychiatrist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mental Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.